Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoveTEFL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Medical Insurance Reply with quote

Having difficulty finding jobs that include medical insurance benefits ...
I am a UK national and plan to work in Vietnam for the foreseeable future..

Having just finished with university and my TEFL degree, I am very short on cash and just want something affordable that still has good coverage (yea, I'm being way too idealistic! Haha)

Can anyone recommend a good company/plan?

What happens if you don't have any and you need healthcare in Vietnam?
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see a doctor and pay as you go very cheaply here. They have adequate English for the meat and potatoes stuff.

There are branches of Family Medical Practice in Hanoi/HCMC and Danang. They are pretty good but expensive.

I don't think any basic EFL job includes insurance or any kind - heck most don't even provide Work Permits or pay for visas!

So either you find your own or do without and hope for the best.

Full coverage including outpatient care and evacuation is expensive and there are always imponderables like - will they actually pay out if you have an accident and are riding a motorbike without licence or insurance?

If you put the money on one side every year it will probably cover the costs of all your medical bills while in Vietnam and then some.

When you grow up with the national health service it is hard to adjust to having to pay your own way or do without - but IMO it is part of the package.

I think there are threads on NEWHANOIAN about insurance that you should look at.

An interesting local quirk I discovered lately is if you go to a Vietnamese hospital with an emergency (and foreigners are allowed to do this) then you must pay up front for any operations/treatment [this is true for everyone - Viets too]. Cash or credit card only. If you need 20-30 million VND for an operation and it's Friday night you could be in big trouble. One reason not to cancel my ANZ visa debit card just to save the annoying annual fees!!

Hope everything works out for you. No bed of roses here but then neither is the UK these days.
cb400

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have insurance with my position, but it is not worth the paper it is written on. Instead I took the cask and bought AON_BaoViet insurance though it cost me a chunk, Ive been using the same company for years and they are pretty good for insurance people

This is the info:
Dinh Trong Phuong ANZIIF (Snr. Assoc), CIP. | Aon Affinity
Aon Risk Solutions, Hanoi |
1201, 12F Hanoi Center Office, 44B Ly Thuong Kiet Str., Hanoi
t +84-4-38.260 832 (ext: 113) | m +84-903 242 456
f +84-4-38.243 983
[email protected] | www.aon.com Confused
JMPM321

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Some schools do offer Reply with quote

ila has at least partial coverage for employees and they give out emergency cards so you can call and they will take care of you in a major emergency. They are covered by bao viet. A friend who works at Ila showed me his bao viet and emergency cards. I think other large schools offer this too but i only know of Ila for sure. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: