Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Etisalat University-What's the Deal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Globehopper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizwan:

Thanks for passing along your experience with Etisalat U.

We did get our travel expenses deposited into our account. It took a series of e-mails and the last one cc'ied to the director for things to happen.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rizwan

Thank you for sharing this information. But there is something VERY unusual in the wording of your reply. Etisalat is a 100% state controlled. It is 100% under the budget of the federal government of the UAE.

In other words it ain't true.

FYI, Etisalat is the state telecommunications company which currently has complete monopoly over telecommunications in the UAE although recently there has been talk about opening up this sector to private companies.

TH
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rizwan,

It is shame that they waited until so late to inform teachers that their offers have been withdrawn. I hope that you are able to find other employment for next September.

In spite of the bad news it carried, I fear that I too nearly laughed at how it was stated. Since Etisalat is aleady government owned, it seems rather more like a palace coup. Smile I suspect that another group will be taking over the campus and the recruiting will start all over again. And that group will probably be controlled by a different Ministry.

And so it goes --

Good Luck with your search - all of you that received the same news as Rizwan

VS
rizwanafzal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rizwan

Thank you for sharing this information. But there is something VERY unusual in the wording of your reply. Etisalat is a 100% state controlled. It is 100% under the budget of the federal government of the UAE.

In other words it ain't true.

FYI, Etisalat is the state telecommunications company which currently has complete monopoly over telecommunications in the UAE although recently there has been talk about opening up this sector to private companies.

TH

I am only replying to the people who were not sure about the current status of the university and so I thought I would share my experience here. I had already cancelled my sponsorship and was about to cancel my visa in a week when I was informed that I cannot join. Its like "firing even before the proper hiring" Sad

Regarding the monooply, the TALK has finally been materialized... Please read this article/news:
http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/37629.html

I am not working too far from Etisalat so please do not challenge the authenticity of the post. If anyone thinks i am providing false information, please do not hesitate to contact the Etisalat recruitment department.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rizwan

Reading my post again, I realize there there may have been some ambiguity about my point. I'm not doubting you but like VS I find "their" just a touch absurd.

TH
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizwan,

I do think TH was talking about Etisalat's wording to you. He was not suggesting that it was you that was 'vague', but them. We don't want to make your bad situation worse. One of the major problems on this board is when we type off a message quickly and it gets misunderstood.

If you learn anything more about what is going on, please come back and share it with us.

Again, best of luck finding another job.

VS
annscholl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Etisalat's wording Reply with quote

I received the same email from Etisalat, in reply to my query as to whether or not they received the visa forms Etisalat requested from me posthaste.

I believe the wording is strange because contracts were signed and Etisalat is safe from legal action if the actions to retract offered and signed contracts were an act of government, rather than Etisalat's own decision.

Luckily, I quickly contacted a place whose offer I turned down to accept Etisalat's and found the position still open. I fear many others didn't have my luck.

I did receive payment for my travel expenses to interview, but not until early June.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizwan

This is truly shabby behavior! I'm just trying to imagine the potentially devastating effects such a decision might have had. People vacating their previous homes, resigning from jobs, selling furniture, uprooting family (incl. small children - esp changing schools) as well as all sorts of potentially crucial life decisions are just some of the horrific possibilities that come to mind. Makes my blood boil!

They should at least have the courtesy to pay up at least a year's salary upfront!

TH
annscholl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed: I left a tenured position to take the Etisalat position. I agree: I think they owe all of us having signed conracts at least a year's salary. I doubt sincerely that we'll get it.
rizwanafzal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year's salary... don't think so because it seems they are well protected legally and they knew it before taking uch action...

We were the ones who were being hired. You have no idea what is happening to the contractors! They are trying to come to a settlement since most of the contractors already ordered the equipment and were getting ready for installations!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: