Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quote from 1926
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinnyG.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Quote from 1926 Reply with quote

I started reading An Immigrant in Japan by Theodate Geoffrrey (Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1926) and came across this paragraph:

Quote:
English is taught in the public schools all over Japan. Later, when I came to travel widely in the interior, I often found bright schoolboys fourteen or fifteen years old who would volunteer as interpreters. In another generation English may be a second language for the Japanese, even as the Dutch to-day are competent linguists because the world cannot be bothered to learn Dutch. (p. 21).

I thought this 87 year-old quote was interesting.

Vinny
Pitarou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

What happened?
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Shocked

What happened?

WWII, I suppose. Often times when the Japanese would try to fool the Allies on the radio, their English was 'too perfect'.

But from all the history that I read, it seems that pre WWII and early post war Japan had some decent English skills. I guess having a terrible ESl rpgram ruined that
They went from having a great program, to basically throwing money into a pit
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
WWII, I suppose. Often times when the Japanese would try to fool the Allies on the radio, their English was 'too perfect'.

So now they are trying fool us with their bad English?

"Stupid Americans. They only think we are learning English. Haha!"
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

well a lot of their officers trained or rather studied in the US prior to 1936. I think most of them died. Seriously they all died and were never replaced. Never again did massive amounts of Japanese gonabraod and study seriously
DLIguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
steki47 wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

well a lot of their officers trained or rather studied in the US prior to 1936. I think most of them died. Seriously they all died and were never replaced. Never again did massive amounts of Japanese gonabraod and study seriously

Source, and, erm, spell-check?
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
steki47 wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

Source, and, erm, spell-check?
sorry on my cell. Would have to do some digging. As I don't have that many japan specific books that deal with WWII that aren't about ships.
DLIguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sorry on my cell. Would have to do some digging. As I don't have that many japan specific books that deal with WWII that aren't about ships.

It'll be an interesting read when you do. I trust your source is well-sourced as well.
Kaguyahime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]well a lot of their officers trained or rather studied in the US prior to 1936. I think most of them died. Seriously they all died and were never replaced. Never again did massive amounts of Japanese gonabraod and study seriously[/quote]

Hmm...why "1936"? In any case, from what I have read, there were never "massive amounts" of Japanese studying in the U.S., and the flow of Japanese migrants was halted by the Native Origins Act of 1924. Most of the Japanese already here were quite settled and did learn English, but primarily so they could go about their business, not because they were army officers with an agenda.
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
Quote:

It'll be an interesting read when you do. I trust your source is well-sourced as well.
. Hang on.it is a nightmare searching Google for japan English WWII. Stumbling into those sources is so much easier.
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://webdoc.gwdg.de/edoc/ia/eese/artic22/shishin/7_2002.html

Just storing sources for now
DLIguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:

O.K., I've read it drunk, I've read it sober, I've read it standing, I've read it while lying in clover, I've read it in the shower, I've read it while riding a lawn mower...

...I still don't get where you find the proposition that the Japanese "Never again did massive amounts of Japanese go abroad and study seriously." (My spell check and punctuation inclusion.)

I KNOW that you're right...I just don't see it in this text. THAT I'd love to see!
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
I've read it while riding a lawn mower...
Please don't do that.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

O.K., I've read it drunk, I've read it sober, I've read it standing, I've read it while lying in clover, I've read it in the shower, I've read it while riding a lawn mower...

...I still don't get where you find the proposition that the Japanese "Never again did massive amounts of Japanese go abroad and study seriously." (My spell check and punctuation inclusion.)

I KNOW that you're right...I just don't see it in this text. THAT I'd love to see!

I know man. There just isn't anything online to find. You just can't get any appropriate answers from Google. Gotta stumble on them. Sorry, I gotta go through a decades worth of reading to even start to pull quotes. Was hoping in could get more. But that was it
Kaguyahime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if "never again" is what you want to say?
According to this article there were almost 20,000 Japanese students at US universities in 2011:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/19/national/incentives-needed-to-lure-students-to-u-s-experts-say/#.UidWjLyEE9k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: