Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palembang + 7 Million
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where????and what is decent?? we spent 2.500,000 on a 1 floor 4 bedroom with a small front yard, not in a compond.

in Jakarta so i would say 25-45mil, 45-60 would be a very nice place, under 25and i would ask whats wrong with it?? power will be about 350,000 and up using 1 ac at night only
ryanc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly im not sure of the city im going to be in, just wanted an idea. I want to stay away from major cities (jakarta) due to higher living cost, but when i was nothing fancy i mean at most a bachleor pad. Do school usually provide a place to stay when you first get there?
willy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many schools will supply housing in the forme of a room in a house at some cost to you. if you rent you must pay by the year not month many times yuy will get more bang for your buck by renting aq house.
phis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take my comments as relating to Medan (an average size city), and most other places in Indonesia. I'm sorry but I can't comment about costs in Jakarta or Surabaya, or any other 'large' city. I know costs are much higher, but I have no personal experience of those places.....

Here in Indonesia most schools provide shared accommodation. With some you have to pay a nominal amount for rent and with others they are absolutely free of charge. This depends on the school. Because the accommodation is shared many schools insist on single status for applicants and will not consider couples. This is by no means absolute - you just have to 'shop around' a little.

Many schools will also pay an 'allowance' if you don't want to go into shared housing. This usually works out at around 500,000 rps a month (6 million a year).

Here in Medan, you can get some very basic places for less than 6 million a year. However, be very careful, as many of these will be below the 'flood level' and you will suffer greatly each time it rains, as you see your personal belongings floating away, and you will spend hours wading through polluted water trying to dry out the house. Yes, I speak from personal experience!!

To be more realistic, between 6 million and 20 million, you should be able to find something that suits you.

My school has paid 15 million for a 3 storey house with enormous floor space, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, various living areas on each floor, very large kitchen and dining areas, and 3 patios.

Do ask the school to get the house for you (negotiation etc.). If you do it yourself you will be asked for 3 or 4 times the amount of money for the same house! I'm sorry but the way it is you will always be thought of as a rich tourist, however much you try to convince people that you are just a poor teacher!

One other thing to keep in mind is that it is almost unknown to rent a house by the month. You will be asked for 1 years rent in advance, and in many cases 2 years rent. However, most schools will help you out with this by paying the rent and then deducting the amount from your salary. Once again it is a matter of shopping around and negotiating.

I hope that some of this information is of use.
Winmar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 4m for my 3BR house in Bandung (left that place 18 months ago). Other people were paying 7m for something that wasn't much better in Kampung Bule, largely because they'd just come from the UK or wherever and didn't know what the true worth actually was.
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

Quote:
But now you come to mention it, I would like to know how much the "boys in the field" feel they need to take a girl out on a date.

Get them to pay - if they can't afford to take you out then you shouldn't be wasting your time with them Cool
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Frat boys Reply with quote

Jakarta is cheap and expensive.
like most capitals of asia.

living as an independant is totally different to that of of a couple.
you blind yourself of many common expectations of civilization.
you can jump a bus and ignore the risk of theft or molestation.
you can accept shared housing and have a good fun time (tee hee)
with a wife or family you tend to look at your posting as a professional and look at the real terms involved, ie housing, security, recreational facillities, tax benefits, immigration regulations, prospects for carer progress.

also is it safe for my wife to do stuff in safety?
walk along the street?
not possible in jakarta, no sidewalks, or they are full of warungs.
cross the street?
dangerous for white people.
if you are indonesia, you can part the traffic as moses parted the red sea, white folk are good targets for ancots.

entertainment? esl teaching in language schools pays weel enuf for you to enjoy life as a second class citizen. most western countries pay almost the eqivalent "welfare" or enemployment benefit to the payed by English First in Jakarta. of course it is cheaper to live here. but its nicer at home. i would never bring my wife here. you would have to be nuts.
Winmar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be better off in a smaller city. I know I always refer to Bandung, but that's where I've spent most of my time. Anyway, it's safer, cheaper and nicer than Jakarta, but close enough to go to Jakarta for a weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: