Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easy/Hard to Transfer Money to Foreign Banks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suoose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Easy/Hard to Transfer Money to Foreign Banks? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to come to Vietnam to work soon and I was wondering how easy or difficult it is to transfer some of the money that I make to a foreign bank account. What are the best options available? Any other advise? I need to pay some bills off. Thanks!
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any firsthand experience with this process myself, but, based on what I've read on the board, here is my limited understanding of the system:

a) Each transfer costs approximately $25 USD (not including what your bank at home might charge to receive a transfer from an overseas account).

b) A letter from your employer is necessary to do this...you are allowed to transfer up to 60% of your earnings to your home account.

c) Average transfer takes approximately 3 working days.

Cheers,
Kirk
Micro67

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Sending Money Home Reply with quote

It can be quite expensive, but now Chau Hong Vina (sp?) has a deal where you can send up to $3,000 for only $25 and up to $1,000 for $17. Western Union is one way here.
hanisay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: cho hung vina Reply with quote

cho hung vina bank (the korean bank on 5 ho tung mao) rocks, sacombank sucks (don't open an account there.) cho hung vina charges nothing to open an account and there is no minimum required for your account. you can transfer any amount of money to an overseas bank for $20. they also have online banking. sacombank on the other hand is highly unprofessional- you can't transfer money even within vietnam much less overseas. they don't give you a bank book (they instead keep track of your money on a hand written purple construction paper folder) and no matter how much you try to communicate with them trhough the glass partition, they're English is not great. i tried c losing my acount there and they insisted that they get to keep the final 10$ i had in my atm account. i tried to argue politely with the manager about it, but he just stared at me. altogether, a highly unprofessional bank.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: cho hung vina Reply with quote

hanisay wrote:
cho hung vina bank (the korean bank on 5 ho tung mao) rocks, sacombank sucks (don't open an account there.) cho hung vina charges nothing to open an account and there is no minimum required for your account. you can transfer any amount of money to an overseas bank for $20. they also have online banking. sacombank on the other hand is highly unprofessional- you can't transfer money even within vietnam much less overseas. they don't give you a bank book (they instead keep track of your money on a hand written purple construction paper folder) and no matter how much you try to communicate with them trhough the glass partition, they're English is not great. i tried c losing my acount there and they insisted that they get to keep the final 10$ i had in my atm account. i tried to argue politely with the manager about it, but he just stared at me. altogether, a highly unprofessional bank.

Looking for a little clarification here. Are you saying you can deposit VND or USD in your cho hung vina account and transfer it at will to an overseas bank with no difficulty? Have you actually done this? How long does it take for the transfer to go through? Thanks.
hanisay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are 2 different accounts you can open at cho hung vina. I have a u.s. dollar account there since that's how my paycheck's directly deposited by my employer, but I think you can keep both u.s. dollar or dong or both. With that kind of account, I can only deposit money if I show them a letter from my employer showing where it was earned, but I can transfer money at will overseas. I've transfered as much as $4,000 at a time for a $20 fee. You can also open up an account where you can deposit money from anywhere without any questions or papers asked, but I believe this account does not allow you to transfer overseas. You could probably open one of both types of accounts, I'm not sure. They speak great English there though and are really helpful. When I transfer money overseas, it shows up either a few hours later or the next day. Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: