Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both schedules require weekends, and I see those guys going to work on Sunday nights, ugh!
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, it's a language centre. What do you expect. Most language centre jobs are going to be at times that most other people are free. But it doesn't make much difference if all of your friends are also working that schedule. You just have your days off on weekdays instead. And that often means you get the pool to yourself. Wink
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots more teachers leaving ILA- HCMC this week. Even more put in their one month notice too. I'm talking about inexperienced teachers, the ones who recently completed their CELTA, not the IELTS teachers like I'm With Stupid.
TRH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Come out and say it. Reply with quote

tigerstyleone: It would seem that you have some kind of an axe to grind with ILA. Instead of beating around the bush, why not just come out and say it. If you have a valid complaint, I am sure others may want to hear. If you don't and you just want to stir up the hornets' nest, then it gets old kind of fast. My pardons to the teachers among us for over use of idiom.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an unusual time of the month for "lots of teachers" to be leaving. Teachers leave all the time, but rarely until the end of the month.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy at my school right now for a job interview wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Who wears shorts and a T-shirt to a job interview?
Its an ILA "Education for Life" T-shirt to boot, and he's holding an ILA helmet too. Who wears a competing school's T-shirt to a job interview? I can't understand this. He'll probably get the job too. He looks to be about 24, just what the school wants.
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone wrote:
There's a guy at my school right now for a job interview wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

I thought you told us that you worked for Sofitel resort on Phu Quoc island. Time to come clean or stop wasting people's time. Rolling Eyes
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what I was thinking. If your going to be a good liar, you need to have a good memory.
Roth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the quality of their CELTA program? Is it worth the money (both in terms of 'payback' value and in terms of your real development as a teacher).
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA is a CELTA. It's theoretically the same everywhere in the world.

I can't speak for the current trainers, but when I did it, I was taught by a DELTA examiner with decades of experience, the manager of the teacher training department who has pretty much every qualification Cambridge do and someone they'd flown in from Europe especially to do it (which suggests that they won't just let anyone do it just because they're in country or cheap). And like every other CELTA course, it received a visit from Cambridge to check standards. I think you're fairly safe with any CELTA course tbh. You're not going to be taught by someone with a few years experience, because it's so competitive to get into proper teacher training (I know someone who did another TESOL course in Vietnam who told me that someone who passed that course with her was teaching it a year later).
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTAs can and do vary. There is an accreditation system so all courses do meet a minimum standard but that minimum is quite low. Employers also know the CELTA courses that are poor quality.

That said - I have heard the ILA one is reasonable. I knew someone who did the Language Link one in Hanoi and was very happy with it. I would recommend the LL course in Hanoi ideally but the ILA one is in second place.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:
I was taught by a DELTA examiner...

You mean DELTA teacher trainer. Is this the same person who teaches their DELTA course? I'm surprised only one person asked about it given that the DELTA course is listed on both ILA's website and the U of Cambridge lists ILA (HCMC) as their only Vietnam Delta provider:

MarkM, back in Apr 2011 wrote:
Anyone here done the DELTA at ILA Vietnam? According to the website, they only offer it to their teachers. So does this mean you have to get a job with them first?

toiyeuthitmeo in response, wrote:
Last I heard, there was a price increase for those who are not employed there, but it remains an option. Just send an email or give them a call. Also, word on the "hem" is that Apollo also offers a DELTA program. There have been some changes at both schools, as this forum documents, so the details are yours for the finding (and sharing!!)

Then MarkM wrote:
I have just go an email from ILA confirming that I would have top be an employee by the time the course starts. According to the website, this is because of government regulations .... Confused

Strange! Why would a government insist visiting students take on employment? Where on their website is this stated? The indication I get is that employment with ILA is optional:

Quote:
Working with ILA

ILA teachers are eligible for a 10% discount on the course fees and a complete reimbursement of course fees over a 3 year period after the course.

You can apply to ILA and take advantage of more professional development opportunities for teaching adults or young learners, with other training courses and numerous free workshops each month. You can also choose to work at one of our centres in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, or even take the opportunity to teach by the beach in Da Nang or Vung Tau.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
You mean DELTA teacher trainer. Is this the same person who teaches their DELTA course?

Well obviously she's also a teacher trainer on the DELTA, but no, she's a DELTA examiner too. She left a while ago though, so I can't speak for the quality of their current training staff.
mk87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the requirement to be employed by ILA to take the DELTA no longer applies.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of that one. Managers need the DELTA (and even then that's flexible if you're part way through it), but not anyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: