Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Visa question Reply with quote

I have been issued a work permit but have a stamp in my passport to present some kind of documentation within 7 days.

Now, my employer has not been forthcoming with a contract even when pressed constantly. I still do not know whether my teaching hours are 20 or 30. I do know some of the younger staff to be doing a 28 hour teaching load per week and in the 9 hour days with the bus rides to and from work it really adds up.

My question would be, while I still haven't signed a contract and have 7 days to verify my status, can I change to a tourist visa while things are still unclear to give me some room? I am unsure as to whether or not I must be living in a hotel? I am in company provided housing, will this also be a problem?
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a full day I have finally found out that I need an exit visa to leave the country. But as the probationary period is three months I can leave at any time after applying for an exit visa - I am on a working visa.

Today I was told I was on a tourist visa, told to ignore the 7 day period to come up with the documents, then told they don't know, then told I should go and find out.

British embassy never responded and the immigration dept. of Qatar did exactly the same.

Before you come over make sure you know exactly what visa you are getting. My school rushed the process and no one knew what visa I was on and what to do - And this is all before I have even begun the residence permit application process.
DLIguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you thought that Vietnam was fun...
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DLIguy,

"And you thought that Vietnam was fun..."

I never did. People - complete strangers, mind you - were doing their best to kill me there.

On the other hand, I was doing the same to them Very Happy.

Regards,
John
DLIguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not of "your" Vietnam, John! Wink
vabeckele

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear DLIguy,

"And you thought that Vietnam was fun..."

I never did. People - complete strangers, mind you - were doing their best to kill me there.

On the other hand, I was doing the same to them Very Happy.

Regards,
John

Yes, that brings home a different perspective. My impression of the Vietnamese is that of a people that are very good at subversive attacks and not full on - very good at hiding their true intentions.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear vabeckele,

"My impression of the Vietnamese is that of a people that are very good at subversive attacks and not full on - very good at hiding their true intentions."

And occasionally, they can be both at the same time:

"The Tet Offensive was one of the largest military campaigns of the Vietnam War, launched on January 30, 1968 by forces of the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army against South Vietnam, the United States, and their allies. It was a campaign of surprise attacks against military and civilian commands and control centers throughout South Vietnam.

The operations are referred to as the Tet Offensive because there was a prior agreement to "cease fire" during the Tet Lunar New Year celebrations. Both North and South Vietnam announced on national radio broadcasts that there would be a two-day cease-fire during the holiday. Nonetheless, the Communists launched an attack that began during the early morning hours of 30 January 1968, the first day of Tet."

In current Boston slang, I guess you could say it was Hue wicked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGE4rITGOo

Regards,
John
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear vabeckele,

"My impression of the Vietnamese is that of a people that are very good at subversive attacks and not full on - very good at hiding their true intentions."

And occasionally, they can be both at the same time:

"The Tet Offensive was one of the largest military campaigns of the Vietnam War, launched on January 30, 1968 by forces of the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army against South Vietnam, the United States, and their allies. It was a campaign of surprise attacks against military and civilian commands and control centers throughout South Vietnam.

The operations are referred to as the Tet Offensive because there was a prior agreement to "cease fire" during the Tet Lunar New Year celebrations. Both North and South Vietnam announced on national radio broadcasts that there would be a two-day cease-fire during the holiday. Nonetheless, the Communists launched an attack that began during the early morning hours of 30 January 1968, the first day of Tet."

In current Boston slang, I guess you could say it was Hue wicked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGE4rITGOo

Regards,
John

Yes, I lived in Da Nang for a year and it was where you guys were stationed (China beach) and is still the dividing line between the North and the South. The people of DN are not happy about the North owning the land as they just get the land for free while the the local population must pay rents on these assets.
There are very few signs left of the war, a few bunkers here and there, and on the mountains some of the communication dishes from Russia still stand and an American pilot's final resting place. If you were to visit now I'm sure it would be with mixed emotions, but DN is now a very beautiful place as I'm sure it was back in the late 60's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: