Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polish Weddings.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the bitching about Polish weddings I find hard to take. The Polish wedding is one of the quintessential highlights of being in Poland and experiencing a true element of Poland.

N.B. I have never been to a 'city' wedding, all the weddings I've been to are out in the sticks - so different rules may and probably do apply to restaurant type weddings in Poland.

Given that UK/US weddings in no way compare to Polish weddings and that Polish weddings are superior in every single form, nit-picking about which bits you don't like seems rather churlish to me.

In my humble experience these are the only reasons a Polish wedding is crap:
1)The band are awful and non-inclusive
2)There's been a recent death in one of the families
3)National disasters occur before/on the day the wedding
4)The waitering staff are rubbish
5)some drunk member of the family wants a fight
and god forbid
6)you run out of vodka and to a lesser extent food (the ultimate Polish shame).
(All of these can be applied to any other wedding as well, mind)

Any wedding with an MP3 list is (and I've recently experienced this in the UK) always a total and unmitigated disaster.

The best bits about the Polish wedding:
Everyone is up for it
the dancing
the food
the booze
the fact that it goes on to 5am
that there are up to 6 days of wedding
the band, especially if they come down amongst the tables and sing folk songs
the cheesy balloon decorations
the fact that after 9pm, no-one gives a shit, all barriers come down and all people have fun
The games - all of them, without exception
no need to worry about money/affording drinks
and so on..

Seriously guys, lighten up a bit. "I don't like the games" .... jeez.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

..the games really begin at Polish divorces Wink
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: The idiosyncracies of Polish dating. Reply with quote

Bit off topic but it's a culture thing I guess. I've chatted to loads of mates about this and we all think that Polish women go batty once the 'madness has been unleashed'. Here, it seems normal that a woman gets her guy then systematically devises strategies to remove him from the sphere of his mates to the point where he barely sees them. The Brit-style dating scene, in which it's totally acceptable to go and get lathered a couple of times a week, seems totally alien to Polish girls and invariably provokes an epic sulk when mentioned. Compared to girls back home, do you men out there think that Polish women are a tad neurotic? Of course, going out with her mates and watching a gaggle of geese squawk all night, interrupted only by dancing to 'chlopaki nie placza' is another thing and a vision which needs to be seen to be believed.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some proper bonkers Polish women out there - my wife excluded (most of the time). I consider myself extremely lucky with the in-laws comparing them to some proper loons I've met.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

My ex-wife was as mad as a mongoose. I'm blessed with the one I have now Smile.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: The idiosyncracies of Polish dating. Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Bit off topic but it's a culture thing I guess. I've chatted to loads of mates about this and we all think that Polish women go batty once the 'madness has been unleashed'. Here, it seems normal that a woman gets her guy then systematically devises strategies to remove him from the sphere of his mates to the point where he barely sees them. The Brit-style dating scene, in which it's totally acceptable to go and get lathered a couple of times a week, seems totally alien to Polish girls and invariably provokes an epic sulk when mentioned. Compared to girls back home, do you men out there think that Polish women are a tad neurotic? Of course, going out with her mates and watching a gaggle of geese squawk all night, interrupted only by dancing to 'chlopaki nie placza' is another thing and a vision which needs to be seen to be believed.
Many of my friends with Polish wives/gfs would agree with this (although the English ones have a proud tradition of complaining about their English wives anyway!).

I think the idea of the ideal 'happy contented couple' who have mutual understanding for each other's wants and needs and get on like a house on fire, doesn't exist in Poland like it does in the USA/UK. Instead, a lot of Polish women think they're princesses who should be pampered and whose every whim should be catered to: "Shake, my boss screamed at me at work today. I've had a horrible day. I need you at home NOW. I don't allow you to go to your friends party."

So guys need to learn to stand up to pressure, to ignore the sulks and to develop a thick skin. Otherwise, we'll find ourselves bending over backwards to accommodate someone who sure as heck isn't willing to do the same.

And once you lose your 'Saturdays out with the bros' night, it ain't coming back.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is true of Eastern Europe (including most of the FSU) and probably a wider area as well.

My advice to guys over here has always been to set your rules from the start and be who you really are. If you aren't prepared to toss away the occasional night out, don't like giving flowers, aren't going to keep buying her jewelry and have to have your pint or six every night, then make sure she knows it on the front end and never set this expectation.

Hold firm.

I still don't do flowers, dangerous precedent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Infinite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
. I especially appreciate them when I get stuck sat next to Grzegorz the socially awkward, teetotaler accountant who mumbles all his monosyllabic answers to questions I ask into his zurek.

Try sitting between an obviously gay monk and Pani Soltys... long night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: