Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positions that pay 100K and Up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eartotheground

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Positions that pay 100K and Up? Reply with quote

I've heard shadowy statements over the years of ESL posts that pay huge sums, mostly in the Middle East and mostly for the likes of private US government contractors like Booz and Allen, Halliburton, etc.

I have only taught in language schools before but have close to 20 years experience at this point. If I decided I wanted to sell my soul to these corporate devils and make some serious cash before I retire, how would I do this? Any tips are appreciated.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear earthtotheground,

This might be better put on the General Middle East forum or the Saudi forum (or both).

There, you will find tales of El Dorado, The Seven Golden Cities of Cibola, and The Big Rock Candy Mountain. Very Happy

Aramco is the name usually given to all those fabulous places, and you will find posters who swear they have seen it.

Maybe they have - but you'll have to decide for yourself Very Happy

It's what might be called a contentious topic.

Regards,
John
aummua

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Saudi

Vinnell Arabia: 4-5k/ month
Booz Allen Hamilton: 6-7
Raytheon: 6-7
General Dynamics: 7-8
BAE: 8-9
Aramco: 8-9
DLIguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aummua wrote:

These amounts are spurious. I invite those who put credibility into this poster to do their due diligence.

Another thing not mentioned with these pie-in-the-sky numbers extracted from one's nether region, is the understanding that those who DO pay number better than others do so for VERY difficult student populations and zero (read: ZERO!) job stability/protection!

Oh, it CAN be done, but by those who are COMPLETE sellouts for money or are so bereft of nerve synapsi that they are impervious to human stimuli.
aummua

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
aummua wrote:

These amounts are spurious. I invite those who put credibility into this poster to do their due diligence.

Another thing not mentioned with these pie-in-the-sky numbers extracted from one's nether region, is the understanding that those who DO pay number better than others do so for VERY difficult student populations and zero (read: ZERO!) job stability/protection!

Oh, it CAN be done, but by those who are COMPLETE sellouts for money or are so bereft of nerve synapsi that they are impervious to human stimuli.

Where do you teach DLI, guy? Do you think my numbers are inflated? If so, post some numbers of your own.
DLIguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These amounts are spurious. Another thing not mentioned with these pie-in-the-sky numbers extracted from one's nether region...

I note that a denial is not proffered...

I've taught at places that you have mentioned...

I certainly don't teach in the UAE in a first diploma...

Last edited by DLIguy on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
aummua

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where specifically have you taught and what was the salary? If you're going to bash someone's numbers, offer some of your own. I've worked at 1 of the places on my list, interviewed at 4, and am probably going to take a contract with one soon. And "first diploma"? What are you, British?
DLIguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aummua wrote:
Where specifically have you taught and what was the salary? If you're going to bash someone's numbers, offer some of your own. I've worked at 1 of the places on my list, interviewed at 4, and am probably going to take a contract with one soon. And "first diploma"? What are you, British?

I owe you nothing and I am not the one throwing around spurious numbers w/o basis.

I'm not bashing you.

A bit thin-skinned you are.

As for being British...don't be puerile...

Address me no more, I will not play your game as others have. I stand by my advice to posters who read your posts to do their due diligence of your posting history.

It shouldn't take too long...
aummua

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLIguy wrote:
aummua wrote:

I owe you nothing and I am not the one throwing around spurious numbers w/o basis.

I'm not bashing you.

A bit thin-skinned you are.

As for being British...don't be puerile...

Address me no more, I will not play your game as others have. I stand by my advice to posters who read your posts to do their due diligence of your posting history.

It shouldn't take too long...

I never said you were bashing me; I said you were bashing my numbers. I offer numbers from my experience, and you say "No way" and then offer zero more. Sorry but that doesn't cut it.
eartotheground

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thank you for you information and vigorous debate!

Back to our sheep as the French would say, to wit: does anyone have specifics on the application process(es). Do these upstanding outfits post jobs publicly, recruit at fairs, buy space in my local classifieds?

Thanks in advance.
eartotheground

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we are at it, does anyone have suggestions for jobs in the same pay range outside of the military industrial complex?
aummua

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eartotheground wrote:
Gentlemen, thank you for you information and vigorous debate!

Back to our sheep as the French would say, to wit: does anyone have specifics on the application process(es). Do these upstanding outfits post jobs publicly, recruit at fairs, buy space in my local classifieds?

Thanks in advance.

Vinnell has had ads on this site, as have Raytheon, Aramco, and Booz Allen, albeit through recruiters. The application process is very easy but can take forever; it was more than a year between my application with Raytheon and my interview (but I only have a BA in English Linguistics).

All of these companies have job openings or agent profiles on their websites, so that's where I'd start. If I had an MA I'd hit up a TESOL Arabia conference.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9,000 a month -- garbage. Show us the contract, but of course you will conveniently alter the numbers.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez guys! I took a look at this one just because I was interested in seeing if there are $100,000/year jobs. A quick Google search shows a job for Aramco from the 16th of September. Males only $3800/month, tax-free, free housing etc. I saw an older one which is no long active which offered 52-78,000 dollars. As one may guess, the salaries seem to be decreasing. More folks with MA degrees, less jobs back home etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Geez guys! I took a look at this one just because I was interested in seeing if there are $100,000/year jobs. A quick Google search shows a job for Aramco from the 16th of September. Males only $3800/month, tax-free, free housing etc. I saw an older one which is no long active which offered 52-78,000 dollars.

It's more like $100,000+ per year if you have an MA or PhD in something like petroleum engineering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: