Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
metepie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Visa Questions Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a recent college grad, getting my TEFL in the United States, looking to come down to Chile to job hunt sometime in October. I've been in touch with someone who's been working in the English-teaching community for many years, and he told me that the best thing to do visa-wise is to get a Professional Visa. This page lists the requirements.

Does anyone have any experience getting this kind of visa? Any explication of the process or other advice would be appreciated, specifically regarding what I have to do before I leave the US and what I do once I'm in Chile. I'm also curious how long the process takes, if anyone knows.

Thanks!
najc33

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Chile now, I'm visiting some friends from when I did the Ingles Abre Puertas program (which might be a good option for you if you are interested) I just entered the country on a Tourist Visa. You can come to Chile and stay for 90 days. You need to pay a reciprocity fee ($160 USD) upon arrival. I know there are some people who- after 90 days are up- leave the country and go to Peru or Bolivia and then re-enter again- I've never done that so I won't elaborate.

If you do choose to come with a Tourist Visa, be aware that they'll expect information about "onward journey" (meaning they want evidence that you have a ticket to leave the country after 90 days). I simply gave the airlines the name of a flight (though I never actually booked it) and no questions were asked.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Nick
metepie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at english opens doors, but as far as I can tell it only offers volunteer or assistant opportunities, which aren't what I'm looking for. I'll only go the tourist visa route if it turns out the visa for professionals isn't an going to work out--however, I've been told it's the best option for me, and I'm curious if anyone has any advice on the whole process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: