Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Gaziantep
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah like that idea, funny stories, got a load of them, not funny really, pretty sad in fact, a lot of very dumb people live here!
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those 2nd floor doors to the outside that are just a drop?
wander&teach

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of my uni's the second floor door to nowhere but down was identified as a fire escape door. It even had the illuminated Fire Exit sign and was unlocked when the building was occupied!
langtryster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Zirve University, Gaziantep Reply with quote

I am due to start teaching at Zirve University in Gaziantep in September. I have already made the acquaintance of a colleague currently working there, although I am still in America. I have taught EFL overseas before, and after hearing from my colleague in Gaziantep and reviewing the posts on this site, I have to say I am enthusiastic. Turkey sounds like a warm and inviting country, and Zirve sounds like it is staffed with serious, caring professionals. I am eager to join them.

Thanks everyone for the running list of items to bring and/or not bring. Sounds like essential books, clothes, toiletries, electronics, and leave it at that for starters.
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Gaziantep Reply with quote

Ohms33 wrote:
Hello I have recently relocated to Gaziantep with my partner.
Are there any teachers in Gaziantep who are currently here and who have worked previously worked in Antep?

I would like to know about prospective EFL opportunities. I have had interviews at Zirve Univesity, Hasan Kolyoncu University and made contact with Wall Street Institute, but does anyone have actual experience working here.

I would also like to meet up with fellow EFL teachers here in Gaziantep, perhaps form some sort of Native English Speakers Society.

Thanks
Ohms Smile

Hi Ohms 33,

I hope you are well.I read your post and was curious as to how things turned out for you on the job front ,as I too plan to relocate to Antep as my partner's family are there. I begin CELTA in october , however, i am very concerned about my prospects as, although I have 20 years teaching experience as a pedagog ,in both pre five and elementary sectors, and have taught literacy on a voluntary basis in Turkey 10 years ago , the initial qualification I possess is not at degree level.I possess a Higher National Certificate in Child Development and Education,( also referred to as Childhood Studies )
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance Smile
selmaorhan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Zirve University, Gaziantep Reply with quote

langtryster wrote:
I am due to start teaching at Zirve University in Gaziantep in September. I have already made the acquaintance of a colleague currently working there, although I am still in America. I have taught EFL overseas before, and after hearing from my colleague in Gaziantep and reviewing the posts on this site, I have to say I am enthusiastic. Turkey sounds like a warm and inviting country, and Zirve sounds like it is staffed with serious, caring professionals. I am eager to join them.

Thanks everyone for the running list of items to bring and/or not bring. Sounds like essential books, clothes, toiletries, electronics, and leave it at that for starters.

Hi langtryster,

I wondered how things are for you in Antep. It is a city close to my heart as that's where my partner's family are and I've spent a good bit of time there.I too hope to relocate to Antep next year, however , as I have mentioned in another post, I am very concerned that having a CELTA qualification won't suffice in terms of job prospects, inspite of the fact i am an experienced teacher with 20 years behind me, and I've taught adult literacy on a voluntary basis in Turkey, in Turkish.I only possess a Higher National Certificate in Child Development and Education (Childhood Studies) Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as it is really making me feel very concerned. Sad
mmarc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copylight wrote:
Hello!

I have been in gaziantep for the last 2 weeks yet still am in search of a city Wikipedia claim to be the 4th oldest inhabited city on earth. By the looks of it, they replaced it all with a eastern-blok style concrete jungle.

Hasn't won me over yet I must say and the cursory reasons for this are as follows:

Ugliest place I have ever lived.

it seems they build most buildings to 90% completion.

the rental situation is exorbitant.

In the last few days I have been aggressively approached by Syrian beggars fleeing, it would seem, the conflict just over the border.

I've pmed you. Let's meet up and share our miseries.

Mmm.. well, with that ringing endorsement..

This thread is a bit old, but I'm interested in hearing insights from any of you who are currently in Gaziantep. Particularly that thing about the rental situation being exorbitant (cost?), and what you may have found to do for fun. Thanks!
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested indeed Smile want to know update from people who live/ work there recently as well.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: