Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just showing up in Taipei--where do you begin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Just showing up in Taipei--where do you begin? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking of coming to Taipei in July to look for a TEFL job. I have an MA + TEFL + 1 year TEFL experience.

What's the best way to start searching once I'm there? I've been to tealit.com, but I think there are more schools out there. How do you find schools that might not be posting their jobs online?
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay at a cheap hostel and ask around.
rebelsatellite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Visa? Is Taiwan a good country to teach TEFL? Can one just show up and get started?
teacher4life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arrive, find a job, and plan as a "worst case scenario" having to make a visa run to Hong Kong for a day or two if your timing isn't quick enough. No big deal.
doomer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming here & finding a job on your own is usually better than going through a recruiter.

Besides tealit.com & forumosa.com, there's also the classifieds in the English newspapers (China Post & Taipei Times). That's how I got my first one.

The best way is to hit the pavement & cold-call. Find an area where you want & can afford to live, dress appropriately (but not formally), find the local public schools, and then scout the tons of cram schools nearby (they'll usually be clustered together). Tiny mom&pop outfits (which look the part) usually don't offer ARCs, so just identify the smaller/larger chains. Inquire, leave your resume (something may open up unexpectedly), and offer to sub.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: