Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested Site For Visa Law, Registration, Etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Suggested Site For Visa Law, Registration, Etc Reply with quote

I think for anyone working in China or thinking of doing so, knowing what has just occurred is essential. Lots of opinions out there, but I think the immigration lawyer who runs the below site offers the best and most comprehensive insight. Plus, he does a great job of making it understandable to non attorneys.

http://lawandborder.com/

Some of this stuff is just unbelievable. For example, fully read the article entitled "China: Foreign Nationals Must Register at the Local Police Station within 24 Hours". Like going back in a time machine to the 1950s Soviet Union. Makes it even funnier when the Chinese media and friends spin it like this is all designed to benefit the laowei.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, great site, I especially like the infographic on the time for getting the z visa application.

This stood out for me too, since it was discussed on a recent thread.

"Q: Does a person holding a residence permit need to re-register each time she returns from a trip to another city or country?

It’s unclear. It may be safest to re-register."

So if I go on holiday this coming Spring Festival I might not need to register when I come back. I'll mention it to my FAO before then anyway just in case.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
knowing what has just occurred is essential

What has just occurred?
A593186

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Site For Visa Law, Registration, Etc Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
I think for anyone working in China or thinking of doing so, knowing what has just occurred is essential. Lots of opinions out there, but I think the immigration lawyer who runs the below site offers the best and most comprehensive insight. Plus, he does a great job of making it understandable to non attorneys.

http://lawandborder.com/

Some of this stuff is just unbelievable. For example, fully read the article entitled "China: Foreign Nationals Must Register at the Local Police Station within 24 Hours". Like going back in a time machine to the 1950s Soviet Union. Makes it even funnier when the Chinese media and friends spin it like this is all designed to benefit the laowei.

Can't live with and accept a countries terms and conditions of residence? Then get a nice cushy job in your own home country. Oh, wait...
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Site For Visa Law, Registration, Etc Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't live with and accept a countries terms and conditions of residence? Then get a nice cushy job in your own home country. Oh, wait...

You have to be one of those people who is paid by the Chinese government to spin threads pro Beijing. You are very consistent with it.

Do you think it is acceptable for foreigners to have to register at the local police every time they stay anywhere, and then most likely also have to do it when they return to their place of residence? Did you read some of the specific requirements for specific locales? I though not.

Only time they don't have to is if they stay at a hotel, and then, the hotel has to go down to the police station with documents in hand and do it. It would certainly seem that there will be in practice a lot less hotels willing to take in foreigners once this is fully implemented.

I am semi retired rather young in the Philippines. If I choose to go back and teach subjects in China it is for reasons not related to financial desperation.

I refuse to live in America as I find it has become repressive in ways even China can't match. And frankly, cushy jobs got to bore me there after fifteen years.

But I don't accept any of this worsening worldwide trend against individual rights, but you being a shining example of the sheeple obviously do.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Site For Visa Law, Registration, Etc Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
Only time they don't have to is if they stay at a hotel, and then, the hotel has to go down to the police station with documents in hand and do it. It would certainly seem that there will be in practice a lot less hotels willing to take in foreigners once this is fully implemented.

this is not a change. has been standard practice
since forever. all hotels/guesthouses/resorts
are required to register foreign guests with the
local police.

seems to work fairly well, i've only come across
a few small cities where i've been turned away
and been directed to the more expensive 5-star
palaces. in those cases i suspect either the
local police are more incompetent than usual,
or may be getting a cut from the enlarged pie.

enforcement is another matter. i get officially
registered in less than 10% of the places i stay.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"this is not a change. has been standard practice since forever. all hotels/guesthouses/resorts are required to register foreign guests with the
local police."

I see what you are saying choudoufu. There have been laws, in particular relating to staying at public lodgings. I am more apprehensive along with some others in terms of them being expanded, documentation required, enforcement and consequences for not doing so.

I mean, honestly, you go to spend the weekend with your girlfriend and she needs to get written permission first from the neighborhood. How ridiculous is that?

I think they should just implant little GPS chips in the laowei.

I think the enforcement has been stricter already as the foreign business community has been complaining about these new laws in terms of residency and travel registration times and procedures, as well as options for where they can stay.

Funny comment about the police and the five star hotels. I thought that was just the taxi drivers who were given kickbacks to redirect us to certain hotels.
CFTU-Beijing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a great visa reference site Jim. We are adding it to our web site and and passing it along to our members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: