Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - any good for a tefler?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnmartin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - any good for a tefler? Reply with quote

How about these 3 countries.

I was thinking of heading there around oct - any chances of work?

And is there any difference between the 3 countries?

How about living there, what's it like?

Question
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jobs are there (not sure exactly how high the demand is), but the pay is super low. Thankfully, Riga has a very low cost of living. Cannot say the same about Tallinn. No idea about Lithuania.
nnmartin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks,

how much to rent a cheap room in Estonia or Riga, and how about the lifestlye,which place do you think would be more fun/pleasant in general?

cheers
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For general information on Tallinn, Estonia try these websites :

http://www.tallinn.living.internations.org

http://www.citystyleapartments.ee

http://www.numbeo.com

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/tallinn

Having recently visited both Tallinn and Riga, Tallinn is far more expensive than Riga. In fact, Estonia is the only Euro member with a budget surplus and a national debt of just 6%, making it one of the least indebted countries in Europe. This is mainly due to oil shale. Tallinn has become a very popular port for cruise liners which has pushed the prices up to similar to UK prices.

Latvia, on the other hand ,still uses the Lats as currency. During the 2008-2010 global crisis, the GDP of Latvia declined by 26%.

In both countries, I was very impressed that most young people could speak at least 2 languages and their English is very good. Students choose English at school, so I'm not sure how many openings there would be for EFL.
GF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lat is tied to the euro so the Latvians haven't had the luxury of devaluation to deal with the crisis. Estonia was in the same boat before it adopted the euro.

It is true that Tallinn has become more expensive but you can still live well here if you know how to shop and where to go out. Otherwise, you will get soaked.

ILS Tallinn is hiring now (3 positions). Check TEFL.com. The salary they offer isn't hot but you can live on it. You will have to be a bit frugal going out as a big night out can cost quite a lot. Read the contract carefully. I don't know what it says now but several previous teachers I knew told me they used to forbid taking privates or other outside work on pain of termination. Check that out as I don't know if it is current information.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Riga, Latvia 2005-2011 and still spend summers there. Demand is still there, though I get the feeling that it peaked around 2009/2010. Basically Tallinn is more expensive than Riga and Vilnius cheaper. In terms of all three, to be honest I found Vilnius a bit boring and unlike Riga, there is no nearby beach to use in the summer months. Tallinn for the casual tourist is more impressive, though I personally believe Riga, as a bigger city, has more going on. Also, language wise, Latvian, although tough, is slightly easier than Estonian, which is non-indo European. Riga, with half the residents being Russians, is also a better place to learn Russian as well.

Regarding rental prices, it's not really that popular to share with strangers. Expect around 140-200 lats a month to rent a flat somewhere central. (1 euro = 0.70 lats.)

Note that Latvia has rebounded pretty well from the economic crisis and will join the Euro in January.
GF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, TEFL.com has another job posting with a company called In Down-Town. They are located in Tallinn's Old Town. I don't know much about them.
kazachka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in Riga again a few days ago (still working in Moscow teaching and translating). I am in the market for a flat there now and have been wondering how Latvia's move into the eurozone will affect prices there. If they skyrocket, I'm screwed, but if it stays pretty level as it has recently, I should still be able to get something. I am a dual US Latvian citizen so no need to hassle for work permits there. I was hoping to save a bit more working in Moscow to get someting bigger, but the cost of living here is getting insane and I'm so ready go just go to Riga and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: