Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Old is Too Old?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: How Old is Too Old? Reply with quote

Hi All~

I'm totally new here to Dave's ESL Cafe and this is my first post.

Seriously thinking of moving to Taiwan in January 2014 to teach and reboot my life. I'll be 44 and burned out from the rat race.

I went to Taipei on business this past June and was totally surprised by how much I liked it there.

On to teaching. I have a 2 year degree and 10 years of IT support/admin experience. I'll get a TEFL in the next couple months (suggestions of what kind to get appreciated).

So my question is, is my age a problem with finding work? I actually look a lot younger for my age and would like a job teaching late afternoon/evening so I could do online work in the mornings. I like kids and like to mentor/teach/help others.

I also have been to Japan and have possible leads there, but Taiwan felt more laid back and I'm tired of the stress in the U.S.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
teacher4life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is not a problem. With only a 2 year degree, however, you'll have to work at a chain like Kojen or HESS even if you are a great teacher. Immigration's unbending rule. That might actually suit your needs considering you want to work late afternoons/evenings!
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't even heard of Kojen so thanks for the tip. However when I checked their site, they did mention they require a BA. Not sure how rigid they are...

How difficult is it to find a job at some of the non-chain schools with just an AA degree and a cert? I was thinking of getting a CELTA, but doesn't sound like I can justify the cost, but many schools (in Korea at least) want certs with 100 hours now.
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for getting my cert, I was looking into getting my CELTA in Thailand and then go from there. I could take my chances in Korea and probably make more money but I think the lifestyle of Taiwan would suit me better.

Would the CELTA really help my chances of landing a gig in your opinion?

Anyone else?
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a reasonable plan if you....

(a) are just looking to have fun for a year or two working part-time hours,
(b) are flexible about where you're willing to live,
and,
(c) have enough money to cover your expenses for several months

At 44 and without a BA, I think you can expect some challenges. However, like I said, if you have enough money, are flexible about where you live, and don't really need a lot of hours, you should be fine.

If you're thinking of making TEFL a long term thing and teaching will be essential to your income, I would advise going elsewhere. Although without a BA, I'm not actually sure where that will be. I think you would likely have a hard time in Japan and Korea as well.

Either way, good luck.
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice.

I looked at Hess and they will take someone with a 2 year AA and a TEFL.

Sounds like I won't get many hours, but that's okay as I plan to supplement my income doing something else and don't really want to teach 40 hours a week anyway.
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the CELTA as it's the most recognized worldwide. Down the line, you could always put your AA credits toward a Bachelor's program and complete the degree by distance.

A Bachelor's + a CELTA would open more doors to you across the world.
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NG. That's a good idea and what I just started looking into. I've long had an interest in teaching and am looking forward to something rewarding and not just the money.

I could see getting my BA online while teaching overseas with a CELTA and eventually getting a University teaching position.
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could see getting my BA online while teaching overseas with a CELTA and eventually getting a University teaching position.

Online degrees are not recognized by the Taiwan Government. You won't be eligible for ARC sponsorship with an online degree.
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on that. The online options I'm looking at are at traditional schools that offer an online degree completion program. Not City U, Devry, Capella, etc.

There's no difference in the curriculum, but I am looking into what is printed on the actual hard copy of the degree degree (i.e. online, distance, etc.).
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferfichkin wrote:
Quote:

Online degrees are not recognized by the Taiwan Government. You won't be eligible for ARC sponsorship with an online degree.

But he will have already met the necessary requirements for an ARC with an AA and TEFL cert., so that won't matter.

To the OP...From what I understand, the fact that a degree is earned by distance is not indicated on transcripts or certificates (at least that's what I have learned from people I know who have done theirs that way). However, if a particular government does not accept distance degrees, a simple check of your passport would indicate that you were overseas when you earned the degree. So, that's something to think about.
seattle_bri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neutrino. A wise one you are Wink Are you still teaching in Taiwan?

I have been in contact with Hess and also emailed Reach to Teach about prospects in Taiwan and Hess has already said to give them a ring once I have my TEFL. I'm leaning towards going for the CELTA in Thailand this January. I'm hoping February-ish will be a good time to find work.

Have you heard much about Reach to Teach or other agencies to consider in Taiwan? They seem like a good agency to go through and I've not heard anything bad, yet.

Much to work out still. Lots of research and logistics to work our but I'm learning (thanks to you and this forum). I really do like Taiwan from my limited time there and would love to go back.

I DO really want to teach for not just the money so lifestyle is very important to me and the reason why I'd rather take my chances in Taiwan as opposed to making better money but being miserable in China or Korea.

However it looks like most of the jobs in Taiwan are for kindergarten (which I thought was illegal?) and would much prefer grade school and up.

I would LOVE to work from late afternoon to evening and have my mornings and days to write, go to gym and enjoy Taiwan. I'll come with some savings and don't mind holding out for the right fit for me.

Thank you so much for the advice.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But he will have already met the necessary requirements for an ARC with an AA and TEFL cert., so that won't matter.

Then I wonder if the BA will have any real value? If he has to tell the school that they need to apply for his work visa based on the AA + TEFL, what good will the BA be for him?

I just think it might create an awkward situation for the OP because he has a BA, but it's useless for ARC sponsorship, and he'll have to tell the school that. All things being equal, I think he might be better off applying to schools without it.
doomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you end up doing? It's Feb 2014.

It's not really how old you are, but how old you actually look.

AA+TEFL cert is enough, but most employers might not know that, and many can still reserve the right to insist on a BA. But if your resume looks good enough, I'm sure some will overlook the lack of a BA.

Hess is to be avoided, if at all possible. Lots of unpaid work hours = stress.

CELTA isn't necessary for any major Asian market I know of. "Equivalents" are acceptable for most. It's not going to give you an extra boost in hiring or pay in TW.

From what I've heard, TW is definitely more laid-back than China or SK. Probably why I've been here 15 yrs.

Take care wherever you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: