Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which is better men or womens college at HCT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: which is better men or womens college at HCT Reply with quote

As a male teacher, which would be less stressful to teach at?
The women's or the men's colleges? I have taught in Asia at Universities but what about with Arab students?
Serious answers please.
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the culture in the Middle East is completely different than the one in China or the West. For example, classes in some of the UAE universities and all Saudi universities are segregated, and you have to watch your 'behaviour' and 'body language' when you are in front of a female only class.
A behaviour which is tolerated in the West or China, may be not in the Middle East. From my experience teaching in the Middle East, I have found that teaching female students (mainly in UAE) is less stressful in the sense of their academic achievement, but more stressful in the sense of their cultural environment. Whereas with male students my experience was the opposite.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to really answer this for someone else. What I found was that some teachers preferred teaching the all female classes and some preferred the all male classes.

There are many landmines to teaching all women - especially if you are a young single male. For instance, just complimenting a student on her dress can get you in BIG trouble. They are also very forward and blatant flirts. Cool And it doesn't matter your age or attraction level. Think Scarlett O'Hara... it used to crack me up to watch them work on the male teachers in the faculty rooms. Responding incorrectly can get you fired... or your car trashed by her brothers. At one university in the Gulf we had an attractive young (30ish) male teacher that had to be 'let-go' at year end - even though he did everything properly and informed admin that a young female student was stalking him - turning in the notes and such. At HCT, a similar young male was transferred to another city and a male college. Her brothers were threatening to kill him.

That said, most male teachers tiptoe through that minefield by using common sense. The female students can be great fun to teach because they work harder and are seemingly brighter than the males. As a woman, I found that there was so much more freedom in topics when teaching them. There was no need for them to play coy and shy because there are no males around. Many of them have a wicked sense of humor that only comes out with an all-female class.

But, even as a woman, I found male classes easier to handle. Many of them are really not the brightest students and many put little or no effort into the courses. If you have a sense of humor along with a consistent approach to discipline, things usually go more smoothly. If a male with no experience in the Arab world, I'd definitely try to get into a men's college rather women's.

VS
mateacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, thats what I was thinking. don't want to end up in prison for being a good looking hot bodied guy, so Ill put down a male college.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Don't worry, they won't send you to jail.

I know that HCT assigns teachers by their needs, not teacher requests... certainly as to city. Not sure if they will let you decide between men's or women's colleges or not. I know quite a few teachers that teach in both, so you may not have much choice. But, at least you're warned and you know to consult the other men to ask more advice.

VS
mr.jones

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do well in men's colleges, but women's colleges are far easier to work at. No brainer.
mr.jones

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people do well in men's colleges, but women's colleges are far easier to work at. No brainer.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.jones wrote:
women's colleges are far easier to work at.

Not for me, nor for several colleagues.

Casual chat with Emirati ladies was often a bit of a struggle for me. Neither my fault nor theirs, really.

Oh, and then there was the fact that the particular women's college I was at was an utter managerial cluster**** at the time. Confused

Really, it's purely up to personal preference and the luck of the draw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: