Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7,000 less foreign teachers in China today than 2012 - Why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Usain, these statistics have changed my life!
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 7,000 less foreign teachers in China Today Than 2012 - W Reply with quote

Bolt wrote:
According to the 2013 joint SAFEA/CFTU annual foreign teacher census....

awesome, bro! we finally have a legitimate teachers union to protect us.
and i see youse guyse are working jointly with the safea. my, things are
certainly looking up for us oppressed and downtrodden engrish teachers!

so, um, would you mind providing your union registration number?
you know, the one you got when you officially registered as a trade union
with the chinese government? thanks. can't be too careful.

and i really like that article in "open.salon.com!"

sounds familiar....hmmm...let's see....

"Open Salon is a social content site. What, precisely, can you do here? After a quick registration, you can start blogging immediately "

http://open.salon.com/blog/kerry_lauerman/2008/07/24/welcome_to_our_public_beta

drat! i thought your puff piece was a real article published in salon.com!

very clever. (yes, i sayed clever, thereupon i must be chinese!)

so....

we have a fake union "publishing" fake articles in a fake newsmagazine.

wow.
just wow.

and they say recruiters can't be trusted....... Rolling Eyes
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these guys use "less" instead of "fewer".
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:

less is more.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFTU - Hi. SAEFA? I'm one of the many, many people working for CFTU. I'm sure you've heard of us. Can you confirm that there are 7,000 less foreign teachers working in China than last year?

Confused Beijinger - Duibuqi. Nin da tuo le.

CFTU - That's great. Thanks for cooperating with our huge staff team on this research.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFTU: ring ring ring ring... Hi, SAFEA?

Click.
twilothunder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markness wrote:
Thanks Usain, these statistics have changed my life!

These statistics are useful information.

It is worth knowing anything that can increase your bargaining power. If schools are finding it more difficult to recruit, it's good that we know that.
A593186

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:

And few know the difference between placing the period inside versus outside the quotation marks.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to break my rule and respond to this.

EDIT: On second thought, no, I'm not.
A593186

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikeologist wrote:
CFTU - Hi. SAEFA? I'm one of the many, many people working for CFTU. I'm sure you've heard of us. Can you confirm that there are 7,000 less foreign teachers working in China than last year?

Confused Beijinger - Duibuqi. Nin da tuo le.

CFTU - That's great. Thanks for cooperating with our huge staff team on this research.

Why not write the supposed Chinese dialogue in the proper format (in other words, Chinese characters)? This post makes it, sadly, appear that foreigners don't know how to use the language properly.

Also, it's so sad that the original references article makes it appear that the CTFU is some valid, high-status reference to be quoted as legitimate.

The last paragraph is nauseating, in that it states that the CTFU "remains China's only private labor union." Holy god and crap, really? A valid, private labor union? Amazing that this is a real thing in China.

I mean come on.
A593186

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 7,000 less foreign teachers in China today than 2012 - W Reply with quote

Bolt wrote:
Are people finding better places to work or are they just looking for China jobs that pay better? I think it may be a combination of both.

My immediate guess is that, as many of the foreigners in China are located in Beijing, and now that Beijing has implemented a criminal record/history check, that all these missing foreigners are no longer capable of working in China. Just as, coincidentally, when Korea instituted their criminal check, the number of foreigners in China increased.

In other words, all these folks are on the run from home and can't get a job here, there, or anywhere.

Where is Dr. Seuss when you need him.

All these guys claiming how they love the culture and are independently wealthy, having multiple degrees, and so on, and come here and make a few hundred bucks a month - all, in reality, because they are pathetic enough to not be able to do anything else.

Other people are, acceptably, married to Chinese, in exchange programs, and so on - thus, reasonable and acceptable to be in China long term making a few dollars a month; as opposed to being on the run, in hiding, and whatever else the excuse is.
A593186

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, really, does anyone buy the credibility of this open.salon website?

Take a look at the article closely

Paragraph 1 - "expat foriegn teachers in China." - foriegn?

Paragraph 4 - "foreign tecahers now working" - tacahers?

Paragraph 6 - "common scams foreig teachers" - foreig?

Paragraph 9 - "she said "Its really a tie" - Its?

Paragraph 11 - "low pay, and love hstory" - hstory?

I see no reason to continue to posting the dozen or more spelling errors alone, let alone the grammar, punctuation, and other errors.

How pathetic are we really discussing? The article's pathetic state or those that apply any credibility to it?

Really? Get a grip folks.
muffintop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A593186 wrote:
And, really, does anyone buy the credibility of this open.salon website?

Nope.

A593186 wrote:

Take a look at the article closely

No, thank you.
muffintop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 7,000 less foreign teachers in China today than 2012 - W Reply with quote

A593186 wrote:

My immediate guess is that, as many of the foreigners in China are located in Beijing, and now that Beijing has implemented a criminal record/history check, that all these missing foreigners are no longer capable of working in China. Just as, coincidentally, when Korea instituted their criminal check, the number of foreigners in China increased.

In other words, all these folks are on the run from home and can't get a job here, there, or anywhere.

Actually...in some cases I'm sure you are correct, but I wouldn't go so far as to blanket all foreigners who are now no longer welcome in China as on the run or unable to find a job back home. I know you are keen on hyperbole, exaggeration, and making unsupportable statements as if they are factual (much like the CTFU my friend!) but take a few deep breaths and count to 10 before you post again.

As I understand it....there isn't anyone who actually looks at what crimes or misdemeanors people have had in their past. They are simply not given a visa. A guy with a 15 year old DUI would be barred entry the same as a pedo.

Anyway, it's OK. We can still have cheeseburgers together.
NP1970

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 7,000 less foreign teachers in China today than 2012 - W Reply with quote

muffintop wrote:
A593186 wrote:

Actually...in some cases I'm sure you are correct, but I wouldn't go so far as to blanket all foreigners who are now no longer welcome in China as on the run or unable to find a job back home. I know you are keen on hyperbole, exaggeration, and making unsupportable statements as if they are factual (much like the CTFU my friend!) but take a few deep breaths and count to 10 before you post again.

As I understand it....there isn't anyone who actually looks at what crimes or misdemeanors people have had in their past. They are simply not given a visa. A guy with a 15 year old DUI would be barred entry the same as a pedo.

Anyway, it's OK. We can still have cheeseburgers together.

This probably accounts for quite a few of the now absent teachers, but 7,000? No wonder they just tried to entice me with a $10,000 two year contract bonus!

But I think I've had my fill of teaching here in China and although I committed with Tsinghua for some evening classes next semester, I think I can earn double with a non-teaching day job and never have to work another weekend tutoring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: