Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV Testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dherres wrote:
Sheer ignorance and stigmatization.

Couldn't agree with you more....but, again - T.I.V.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
dherres wrote:
Sheer ignorance and stigmatization.

Couldn't agree with you more....but, again - T.I.V.

ditto that!
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a little old, but I've read that there are NO entry or residence restrictions for those with HIV. So even if they do blood work during your health check doesn't mean they are checking specifically for HIV. Of course, if you happen to know if they check for that, then feel free to chime in. I'm guessing schools won't bother checking for diseases/infections they aren't required by law to check for. But of course, it's Vietnam, so it could vary widely from school to school(?).
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
I know this thread is a little old, but I've read that there are NO entry or residence restrictions for those with HIV. So even if they do blood work during your health check doesn't mean they are checking specifically for HIV. Of course, if you happen to know if they check for that, then feel free to chime in. I'm guessing schools won't bother checking for diseases/infections they aren't required by law to check for. But of course, it's Vietnam, so it could vary widely from school to school(?).

I wouldn't be so quick to shout 'injustice' over the roof tops. This disease as well as Hep C could also be sign of former or continuous drug usage. I have no real problem with certain cases but without knowing the person and his or her history, caution is the best way to go.

When I was younger the test took a week or more. I was shocked to see how far we have come, nowadays it takes under an hour.
lenny321

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a health check in Feb 2013 to get my work permit. The health certificate clearly states if you are HIV - or +. The following results are listed in the laboratory section:

RBC, Hemoglobin, WBC, WBC differentials, ESR
Urine density, Albumin, Glucose

VDRL (syphilis), HIV, HbsAg (Hep B), Malaria

I got my results pretty fast. They just could not measure my height correctly, so better check before you're made a few centimeters shorter.

I assume that a positive HIV result will prevent the applicant from getting a work permit. There might be other consequences, like the info being passed on to immigration. But again, assumptions.
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...Nope, wasn't shouting over the rooftops about injustice. Just putting info out there...

But yeah, I'm assuming it would be reported to immigration, but I don't think it gets you deported as in other countries. However, if the information goes to the school (I'm assuming it does?) then I would imagine they would decline to keep you as an employee in most cases. Just my thoughts...
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
Hi...Nope, wasn't shouting over the rooftops about injustice. Just putting info out there...

But yeah, I'm assuming it would be reported to immigration, but I don't think it gets you deported as in other countries. However, if the information goes to the school (I'm assuming it does?) then I would imagine they would decline to keep you as an employee in most cases. Just my thoughts...

Sorry, I was actually replying to a couple of posts before you, but due to my laziness and assumption of continuing from the last post I used yours - I apologise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: