Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KSA teachers not liked in UAE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mateacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: KSA teachers not liked in UAE Reply with quote

I read on the Qatar board that teachers who have taught in KSA didn't like the conditions at unis in the UAE and Qatar. This was due to the holidays and having to be on campus from 8-5. Is there truth to this?
It was also stated that UAE unis look down on teachers who have taught in KSA.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both true... have been since I got there in the 80s.

That said, they are generalizations. Many ex-KSA teachers do fine in the rest of the Gulf... those who prefer the lifestyle outside of the college to the short hours and long vacations of many Saudi jobs.

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with a few ex-KSA teachers over the years here in Abu Dhabi. Not one of them has ever expressed any desire to return to Saudi.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do the employers like Higher Colleges of Technology in the UAE expect teachers to sit at their desks from 8:30am to 4:00pm every day, even if they're not teaching?

Or can teachers go home if they don't have any classes or meetings to attend?

I've worked at several universities that let teachers work from home when they're not teaching and a couple that expected teachers to come in at 9:00am and stay until 5:00pm, ideally and staff monitored teachers for this.

At one school, I even watched people sneak off campus and take the long way to get to the bus stop so that staff would not see them. It was ridiculous.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets's just say that some jackets and jumpers would need carbon dating to establish when they were first placed on a workstation chair and the corresponding laptop is invariably never turned off. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
So do the employers like Higher Colleges of Technology in the UAE expect teachers to sit at their desks from 8:30am to 4:00pm every day, even if they're not teaching?

Yes... and this is pretty much standard in Gulf universities. How stringently it is enforced can vary, of course... even by department within an institution. But... you better not be seen at one of the clubs or doing serious shopping during teaching hours. When I was at HCT, if mgmt was looking for us, they knew which coffee shop nearby was doing brisk business.

It was always one of my pet peeves. I worked for 4 different tertiary institutions in the Gulf. They all required this. The only place that I worked that wasn't this way was in Egypt.

VS
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:

Yes... and this is pretty much standard in Gulf universities. How stringently it is enforced can vary, of course... even by department within an institution. But... you better not be seen at one of the clubs or doing serious shopping during teaching hours. When I was at HCT, if mgmt was looking for us, they knew which coffee shop nearby was doing brisk business.

It was always one of my pet peeves. I worked for 4 different tertiary institutions in the Gulf. They all required this. The only place that I worked that wasn't this way was in Egypt.

VS

In Asia - Thailand, China, Korea - I've worked at some schools that wanted their teachers in their chair and at their desk throughout the day, even if they were not teaching.

Other schools, on the other hand, did not require any office hours or maybe only 2 - 4 office hours per-week in addition to our regular classes. After that, we were free to head off to teach part-time at another school or just go home.

At any rate, I had wondered about this sort of thing and was curious to see what the culture was like in the UAE with regards to desk warming, etc.

VS,

Would you say that Saudi has a similar culture with having instructors sit at their desks all day even when not teaching?

Thanks.

Last edited by Solar Strength on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Solar Strength,

I'm not VS (as you probably noticed), but if I may:

"Would you say that Saudi has a similar culture with having instructors sit at their desks all day even when not teaching?

In my experience, most definitely yes.

Regards,
John
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only place in KSA where I did not have this problem was at KFUPM - and constituent community colleges. In other places I had to be "on seat" when not teaching. "Horsenuts," to quote my former colleague from Oklahoma.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off in TEFL moving out of the corporate world back home. That meant going from a 50 - 60 hour work week to a 25 hour work week in a hogwan in South Korea.

Then I went back to school to get a CELTA and a master's in TESOL and later returning to Asia.

That bumped me down to a 10 - 12 hour work week at a university and from 12 days annual paid vacation at a hogwan to about 5 months annual paid vacation at the university.

So, the last thing I would want to do is move to the UAE and go back to the 40 hour work week or desk warming scenario, even it meant a few thousand more dollars per-year saved in the bank.

I don't want to be tied to a desk throughout the day. that's why I left home and a career for overseas TEFL life.

Or do I have it all wrong and it's just the Higher Colleges of Technology that require teachers to put in a 9 - 5 shift each day?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
So, the last thing I would want to do is move to the UAE and go back to the 40 hour work week or desk warming scenario, even it meant a few thousand more dollars per-year saved in the bank.

I don't want to be tied to a desk throughout the day. that's why I left home and a career for overseas TEFL life.

Then it sounds like working in the UAE won't be your cup of tea.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

No, clearly SS prefers working at a university in Bangkok for about 30% of the salary and 20% of the whole package available to people who started teaching ESL at HCT six weeks ago.

Each to their own, eh?

Me, I think freedom is about more than how much time you spend at your desk. Very Happy
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

No, clearly SS prefers working at a university in Bangkok for about 30% of the salary and 20% of the whole package available to people who started teaching ESL at HCT six weeks ago.

Each to their own, eh?

Me, I think freedom is about more than how much time you spend at your desk. Very Happy

I'm all for freedom!

I'd like to hear more about the freedom you have chained to your desk at Higher Colleges of Technology, Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm. Sounds like a great time to spend one's life overseas. I'm all ears!

I may or may not be in Bangkok at the moment earning the rates you suggested. I chuckle at your over confident and arrogant assessment of my personal situation.

Or maybe a little cognitive dissonance happening here with the above psoter stuck at HTC?
auhruh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd rather go home and take a nap than work? Lazy sod.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: