Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching job at the US Embassy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching job at the US Embassy. Reply with quote

A teaching job just opened up at the Embassy. If you're interested I might be able to answer questions or even help you with forms and such.

Here's a description of requirements:

Bachelor's degree, or equivalent, in Teaching English as a Foreign Language is required.
Three to five years experience teaching English as a second language is required. At least two of those years should be in a classroom setting.
English at level IV (fluent) is required.
Knowledge of grammar, idiom syntax and pronunciation of English is required.
Basic skills in keyboarding/data entry and IT software are required.
Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with public are required.

I imagine you won't find a better teaching job in Russia, as long as money, quality of life, and career enhancement fit into your criteria.

CS
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Been interested in going there ever since I got that Masters in Russian studies.

How do you apply?

Is that the US embassy? Has you gotta be a Yank to be eligible?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is at the American Embassy and no you don't need to be American.

Go to the following link and fill out an OF-612. Fax that, along with proof of your degree and any other relevant documents specific to teaching English, to 7-095-7285105. If you're a veteran you're supposed to send your DD-214 also.

http://www.opm.gov/forms/html/of.asp

Here's a link to the job announcement. You'll need it to complete the form.

http://www.usembassy.ru/links/vacancy.php?record_id=100

Although I don't know this for certain, they may not consider you if you're not already living in Russia. If you are outside of Russia you will need to travel to Russia just for the interview.

I guess I'll just mention this while we're on the subject. Almost all US, British, Canadian, and Australian Embassies around the world have local hiring programs. Some countries, like Russia, are more difficult than others. So, if you're living in say... Paris, France, just do a search for "US Embassy Paris" and go to the Human Resources department and they'll list job opportunities. Some jobs are specifically only for the dependents of diplomats, some are only for Americans living in Paris, and some are for the French. I also don't know this for certain, but I imagine there is an English language department in every US Embassy (and maybe even every Consulate) in the world (well, not UK, Australian, and Canadian, obviously). These departments teach English to employees of the Embassy that aren't American.

If you're interested in this position, you should probably apply within the next 48 hours.

CS

PS Please don't PM me and say "I'd love to hear more..." Please ask me specific questions.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The U.S. Embassy in Moscow is seeking an individual with the required documents for employment in country"

This is always the kicker with embassy jobs. I tried in Germany but you have to already have all the paperwork for legal employment. I just needed a contract and the German gov't was set to give me a residence permit (my wife had one). But no go.

But Smurf, I gather from our residence permit discussions that you don't have one? So what's the deal. Is this a non-required requirement or something? And don't you get a diplomatic visa?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation was a little different from this one. I have a one-year multi-entry business visa sponsored by the Embassy (block 13 of my visa says "Posolsto S SH A" or "Embassy U S A"). If you're a teacher already in Moscow and you apply for this position, you'll STILL need to leave the country in order to obtain an Embassy sponsored visa. I'm pretty sure you can still apply for this position without being in the country, however, you'll need to fly here for the interview (which would be a big waste of money if you don't get the job, obviously). IF they hiring you, you'll sign a contract of conditional employment and should the Russian Foreign Ministry approve you (takes approximately 30 days), you'll show up at the Russian Embassy and they'll give you a free one-year multi-entry Embassy sponsored visa for free in the same day. You don't need a work permit for this job if you're American. I don't know if you need one if you're a third country national (not American or Russian).

I was NOT in Russia when I applied and I flew in for the interview.

CS
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smurf, I read about a job in Vladivostok with the consulate out there. It pays well ($50,000) and is for experienced teachers only. Have you seen that job post?
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link advertising it

http://aatseel.org/jobs/job-index.html

I ain't a Yank, so not eligible.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually no, I wasn't aware. I don't really have anything to do with any of the Consulates in Russia. I imagine this position at Vladivostok is less competetive.
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a cool job. Way over my head. Sounds like it would be good for a phd on sabbatical. Sounds like you'd be travelling around to remote locations and training teachers, helping schools. Don't know that I'd call it less competetive. And I think they'd be looking for a loyal American.
ntropy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Smurf,

When is the Embassy making offers?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't. Call +7 095 728 5815. If she doesn't answer, call 5545. Both number go to HR. If that doesn't work, call 5545 again and ask for the English language department. The HR department manages the English language department.

Have you heard nothing at all?
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichto.

Thanks, Smurf, for the contact numbers. They may come in useful but I think I'll wait a bit before calling. THey'll be ready when they're ready and me bugging them may only annoy them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: