Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US citizen coming to Germany: Hail Mary Pass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice going there.

Im in a weird spot that I have a BA in English and a Masters in INternational Management and about 5 years of English teaching experience (3 in Korea, 1 in Turkey, 1 in Malaysia) and it seems ridiculous to do a celta or other program at this point. I know there's always methodologies to learn etc. but I got it down pretty well and I got a pretty engaging personality in the classroom with excellent results. But the law is the law, I know many countries require that cert. Yet I have heard if you got a lot of yrs exp, its not "necessary" to do a cert. Of course this is a subjective call, but what do you think?
taxman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gloomyGumi,

It sounds like you have qualifications and experience which would be interesting for the company I work for, but without the CELTA they would not give you an interview. Ditto for my last employer as well. Without it you will be working for McSchool.......
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet I have heard if you got a lot of yrs exp, its not "necessary" to do a cert. Of course this is a subjective call, but what do you think?

A couple of relevant points: first, experience in Korea, Turkey, and Malaysia will not translate very closely to Germany. The students, their expectations, motivations, and goals will be very different. Employers are aware that experience in Asia particularly is quite different to what normally goes on in European classrooms.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95456&start=0

Secondly, without the cert, there is no way to really assess whether you've been teaching 'well.' I've worked with a large number of teachers with experience prior to qualifications - and they often really need to get qualified.

Finally, as has already been pointed out, employers in this region simply expect one to be qualified, and not having one is going to put you at even more of a disadvantage on the job market.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi wrote:
nice going there.

Im in a weird spot that I have a BA in English and a Masters in INternational Management and about 5 years of English teaching experience (3 in Korea, 1 in Turkey, 1 in Malaysia) and it seems ridiculous to do a celta or other program at this point. I know there's always methodologies to learn etc. but I got it down pretty well and I got a pretty engaging personality in the classroom with excellent results. But the law is the law, I know many countries require that cert. Yet I have heard if you got a lot of yrs exp, its not "necessary" to do a cert. Of course this is a subjective call, but what do you think?

It isn't really ridiculous at all. You do not have any teaching qualifications to speak of. Claiming you have 'methodologies down pretty well' is one thing, but showing evidence of that in the form of a cert is quite another.

An engaging personality really does not substitute either, I'm afraid. Developing basic rapport with a class is seen as just that - a basic skill. It is the same as saying " I am a great teacher because I am not an ogre in the classroom". We might as well say things like "I want to be a great novelist because I am not illiterate".

Sorry to sound so gloomy, gloomyGumi. Get your Celta. On a more positive note I predict that you'll be surprised at how beneficial it will be to you - even at this point.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sasha I dont think you were gloomy at all. Youre right: how can you prove you have the methods down without that piece of paper? Of course you could always offer to do a mock teaching as they call it here in M. But that is really silly in a way. Much better for me to get it, I agree.

@spiral great point about Asian market being different than Western Europe. I agree students will be looking for a different thing. And that the cert will make me more marketable.

Oh shite, looks like I'll have to fork over the 2 thousand bucks, find a 5 week time-out from these IELTS prep courses Im teaching, not to mention teaching loads of engineering students, blah blah blah my boss will love to hear I need 5 weeks off......hahaha

Im too old for this Sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the CELTA when you get to Germany, not before. It'll mean more in quite a few ways; your practice teaching students will be German instead of (whatever they are now) and your course provider can probably give you very useful leads into the local job market.
Loobs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATEsol

[img]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01490/sol-campbell_1490115c.jpg[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: