Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEN - CANNOT FIND LARGER SHOES? HERE IS OUR GUY!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: MEN - CANNOT FIND LARGER SHOES? HERE IS OUR GUY! Reply with quote

I have always had a problem finding shoes to fit my size here (11 by the U.S. scale, 45 the way they do it here). There are a very few size 45s out there, usually a bit tight, often quite expensive (sometimes up to $175), minimal selection. Anyone size 11 1/2 and up is totally out of luck over here. I have found the guy who can accommodate us. He is at 648 Truong Chinh in Tan Binh. His number is 0903660548, but you do need a VN helper, he does not speak English. He offers many styles, it looks like a normal shop with lots of selection, the difference being he has his own setup for making shoes in the back. You can pick any style off his shelves, order the shoe in either brown or black, and he will measure your monster foot, does not matter HOW big it is. He will make your shoe in about 3 days, mine fit perfectly. The cost is about $45 for any choice (not sure if he bumps it up a bit for guys who have truly large feet, maybe so). He supposedly will also do a shoe based on a picture you bring in, if you prefer, that is $65. I felt his choice was quite adequate and got two pairs while I was at it. Very pleased with them, this is by far the best deal I have found on shoes here for a guy with larger feet. I am a bit wide also, and was able to communicate that, which he seemed to understand and accommodate. A lot of these European shoes seem to be quite narrow at the tip these days, which would never work for me.

Mostly the shop was dress shoes, but he did have sandals, which he can also make. For any ladies who have a problem with finding larger shoes, he is worth a try, he did say he can make those as well based on a picture. I am not specifically recommending him for ladies, as he seemed to be a man's shoe shop, maybe you ladies do not have the same problem we men do on this issue.

Bad – he does not speak English, and at first it almost seems like he is arguing with your helper, but mine told me he is fine, that is just the speaking style of the people from the center.

A bit out there, you take CMT8 and keep going about 2 or 3 miles after it becomes Truong Chinh.

Good – price, selection, any style he offers can be done in brown or black, no size too large, shoes fit perfectly, fast service, open 7 days a week, 8 a.m. til 10 p.m. (maybe later, but that should be good enough).
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump up the post Very Happy
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems rather expensive, I had a pair made to size 10.5 and total cost of 300,O00vnd, mind you it was at a small shop in Tan Binh.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not expensive for good shoes. The only size 11's I had found in the past were well over 100 bucks in the CBD (actually, they were closer to 200). These look as good as the 100+ dollar shoes. But the main thing is, they fit. A few of these jobs require a bit more polish than 15 dollar shoes. If your budget is 15 bucks, this guy is not going to work out. You can get smaller sizes off the racks here anyway, their size 44 is rather plentiful which is about size 10.5. Lots of super cheap shoes of standard sizes for those with that profile.

Your post failed to mention the address and phone number of the place you reference.
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt mention the address as most people wont head all the way out there, its on the border of D12. I noticed the price difference in things from D3, D1 to be rather large,compared to lets say Go Vap,D12.Im still wearing those cheap shoes as you call them.I saw the same style of shoe in D1 when I was there last and they were 600,000 vnd.I also have a pair of sandals I brought in a back street of D4 when I lived there, 4 years later they are still going strong and only cost 200,000 vnd. I suppose its all about getting out of the city areas and the prices fall dramitically.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of leather dress shoes, custom made for $500,000 VND in D-1 Razz

I wear a size 12 EEE BTW
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we give these locations so folks can find them?

I saw a place on Bui Vien (across from The Spotted Cow) is custom making shoes, so apparently the demand is finally having some impact on the market. For years, I was not able to find anything large enough.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
Could we give these locations so folks can find them?

I saw a place on Bui Vien (across from The Spotted Cow) is custom making shoes, so apparently the demand is finally having some impact on the market. For years, I was not able to find anything large enough.

District-1

Bui Vien, right near where Bui Vien ends/starts (across from the Lotteria) and next to a couple of hotels, and across from the cig cart.
Demonietto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a pair of leather dress shoes, custom made for $500,000 VND in D-1

Real leather? I'm in need of a new pair of nice shoes and want to bump up in quality a smidge. From your description, it sounds like it's near the BV end of the first PNL/BV alley? Thanks!
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I bought a pair of leather dress shoes, custom made for $500,000 VND in D-1 Razz

I wear a size 12 EEE BTW

Good to know. I bought an authentic Adidas T-shirt size XL for 399,995 at the outlet this weekend.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonietto wrote:
Quote:
I bought a pair of leather dress shoes, custom made for $500,000 VND in D-1

Real leather? I'm in need of a new pair of nice shoes and want to bump up in quality a smidge. From your description, it sounds like it's near the BV end of the first PNL/BV alley? Thanks!

I guess so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: