Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COE granted - Can I take my Visa App. at any embassy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkcm25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: COE granted - Can I take my Visa App. at any embassy? Reply with quote

So I finally got a job after 4 months and a half of intense job application (after series of interviews and rejections), and I've come to an overwhelming conclusion that the Japanese ESL market is way competitive than the Korean ESL market. I remember it only took me 19 job applications to get a job offer in South Korea whereas I must have applied to more than +100 jobs just to get an offer or two in Japan - crazy tight market I know.

So, without further ado, and now I have a job and the COE, can I take my COE and other applicable documents at any Japanese Embassy location?
I'm Canadian visiting my family in Las Vegas at the moment, and intend to fly out to Japan from L.A. I wanted to make sure that I can have my COE converted into Visa in either LA or San Francisco embassy? I called the Japanese Consulate today and redirected my query to San Francisco Embassy branch, which is weird considering L.A. is the closest to Las Vegas. San Francisco said it's ok that I'm Canadian applying at their branch as long as I meet "the conditions" (which I have no idea what kind of conditions they're talking about)
I would hate to fly back to Canada just to get my visa issued, not to mention the flight cost where I can just go to the nearest Japanese embassy from where I am right now.
So my question is: Is it ok to have my COE processed at the American Embassy in San Francisco even though I'm Canadian?

Your insight on this matter is well-appreciated. I've searched the entire forum but I couldn't find any topic related to my situation. Thanks a lot!
Rooster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with this since I applied in my own country, but since this is an embassy/consulate I think that you would be able to. Unless you go to Los Angeles about a week before you will have to mail it there and have it mailed back so you would need to use the San Francisco one. I would check with them again and ask about "the conditions".
jkcm25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster. wrote:
I have no experience with this since I applied in my own country, but since this is an embassy/consulate I think that you would be able to. Unless you go to Los Angeles about a week before you will have to mail it there and have it mailed back so you would need to use the San Francisco one. I would check with them again and ask about "the conditions".

Ok thanks. That's what I gather here that it shouldn't matter as to the location of the Japanese Embassy. I just wanted to be 100% certain and ensure my visa processing as smooth as possible.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkcm25 wrote:
Rooster. wrote:

Ok thanks. That's what I gather here that it shouldn't matter as to the location of the Japanese Embassy. I just wanted to be 100% certain and ensure my visa processing as smooth as possible.

Well, if you were to live in Las Vegas then it would matter since you need to send it to the one that's in your region. Since you aren't from America I don't know how that works.

Good luck!
jkcm25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster. wrote:
jkcm25 wrote:
Rooster. wrote:

Well, if you were to live in Las Vegas then it would matter since you need to send it to the one that's in your region. Since you aren't from America I don't know how that works.

Good luck!

I just decided to suck it up and incur the flight cost back to Canada. I just wanted to make sure that my visa filing will be smooth without a hitch. Thanks anyways!
Rooster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkcm25 wrote:
Rooster. wrote:
jkcm25 wrote:
Rooster. wrote:

Good luck!

I just decided to suck it up and incur the flight cost back to Canada. I just wanted to make sure that my visa filing will be smooth without a hitch. Thanks anyways!

You could have mailed it there.
jkcm25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks anyways![/quote]

You could have mailed it there.[/quote]

I thought about that but then the visa rules stipulate that I need to submit all documents in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: