Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling to find an english teaching job in japan...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier if you have a spouse visa and don`t pay rent, thanks to ones in-laws.

Outside Tokyo, things are tougher.
Not everyone is content to work at different part-time jobs.

Frankly, it is like getting to a party late. The beer is gone, and you look for what is left: whiskey, sake, and shochu.
Some people are standing around with beer in their glasses, while you just look on.

Even now some universities are putting caps on part-time teachers, giving them five years.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
It is easier if you have a spouse visa and don`t pay rent, thanks to ones in-laws.

Outside Tokyo, things are tougher.
Not everyone is content to work at different part-time jobs.

Frankly, it is like getting to a party late. The beer is gone, and you look for what is left: whiskey, sake, and shochu.
Some people are standing around with beer in their glasses, while you just look on.

Even now some universities are putting caps on part-time teachers, giving them five years.

Mitsui,

Yes, that is what I was alluding to. Many people do not want to work 25 koma a week.

Also, there was an arrogance about this poster who said, "ECC, et al, take anyone. If you can't get hired by them - give up." I'm paraphrasing here, but that was the just of his post.

I think he probably had a valid work permit when he came over the 2nd and 3rd time or he held a spouse visa.

It's easy to look down on others outside of Japan when you have numerous advantages such as a Japanese wife and family, work permit, free house to live in, and gaijin friends in hiring positions, etc.

He is an exception, rather than the rule and not to be whose standard should the rest be judged.
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been here 13 years straight. It is getting worse.
I have only worked full-time at two schools.
However my luck may be running out.
I have a spouse visa and could get PR but I thought, why bother?

I have applied for jobs in the US and in Japan
for next year.
Long term it is a no win situation, since there are more teachers than before, and schools will close, since there are fewer young people.

Many universities are trying to stay afloat and they do that by having more teachers on contracts, and that includes younger Japanese teachers too.

To stay, people have to be flexible. Some people don't seem to mind moving around the country in order to get work, but it really sucks having to fork out that key money.
Out in rural areas there is less competition.

Some people are willing to do business English with two or more jobs,
but that commuting can be tough.

Lots of teachers lose their jobs at universities and have to work part-time at two or more jobs. It takes time to set up your schedule where you can get enough koma at enough schools and the teaching and commuting takes a lot of energy.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I have been here 13 years straight. It is getting worse.
I have only worked full-time at two schools.
However my luck may be running out.
I have a spouse visa and could get PR but I thought, why bother?

I have applied for jobs in the US and in Japan for next year.

Long term it is a no win situation, since there are more teachers than before, and schools will close, since there are fewer young people.

Many universities are trying to stay afloat and they do that by having more teachers on contracts, and that includes younger Japanese teachers too.

To stay, people have to be flexible. Some people don't seem to mind moving around the country in order to get work, but it really sucks having to fork out that key money.

Out in rural areas there is less competition.

Interesting.

You've been here a lot longer than I have, yet I do agree with what you're saying.

The key money is a significant factor. You do a 2 - 3 year contract and then have to move to the next job and have to pay out 2 - 4 months rent for key money and deposit.

That's a lot of money!

Japan needs to change in that regard.

It really is a rip-off society.

I read these comments on this forum about guys / girls being totally gutted that they didn't get on with ECC or NOVA, etc., but when you really stop and consider the situation in Japan, it's not a viable choice for TEFL work.

There are much better places to look for EFL positions in Asia.

Japan has had it. It's no longer the great TEFL destination it once was. Look to China, Korea or even Vietnam.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One teacher I know left for China not long ago.
He left his Japanese spouse and kids behind in Tokyo.
What does that tell you?
They pay no rent since the in-laws owe the apartment, but still, he left.
If you can make the same pay in China, with a lower cost of living, I can see that.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:

Japan has had it. It's no longer the great TEFL destination it once was. Look to China, Korea or even Vietnam.

Really depressing stuff to read given my long-term plan is to return to Japan someday but I do think you speak some truth in regards to the situation.

I was on JET for the whole five years. I liked living in Japan but the undemanding work was wearing on my sanity so I went to Vietnam two months ago.

I now teach at a college. Not eikaiwa language centers, not assisting, but actually fully in charge of a curriculum at an actual college.

That said, Even the (higher-end) language centers in VN seem like far more goal-oriented and concerned with professional development than what I hear of ECC and the like, where mediocre materials, dubious teaching methods and even more dubious working arrangements seem to be the order of the day. I hear many VN-based teachers echo the 'edutainment' line but, in practice, I think Japan could learn a lesson or two from the land of the lotus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: