Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Prospects in Turkey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonshiin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: University Prospects in Turkey Reply with quote

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. I'm a 25-year teaching vet with 8 years university experience in Korea, adult ed, ESOL certified in the US (secondary lit and language arts), MS TESOL, and approaching 60. I also seem to have become a writing teacher over the years.

Korea has lost its charm for me, and Turkey seems interesting.

I see lots of "hagwon" type jobs there in ESL Cafe posts, but I want something more stable. What would the college job market look like for me in Turkey?

I'm in Korea now--is it worth focusing a job search on Turkey?

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid the private schools.
universities are easy enough to find.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is great demand here in Turkey and you will not have any trouble landing a decent job. Also age here is not a huge factor. Of course do your research first to see where you would be comfortable. Locations here vary GREATLY, not only in working conditions but in weather, access to comforts, and cultural challenges. Private Universities are opening up here at an alarming rate and will pay the best. Of course there are good and bad. Public Universities have a lot of the same issues as privates, such as lack of motivated students, inept administration, etc., but pay lower salaries as they are governed by YOK.
wonshiin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Universities in Turkey Reply with quote

I haven't seen any postings on ESL Cafe for college jobs. Can you suggest a starting point for a search?
wander&teach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not likely to find any recruitment adds for University jobs here now. Recruitment time here is in March & April, however elementary & middle schools are always scrambling for native speakers. Listings can be found on all the usual ESL posting sites. If you have boots on the ground in Turkey your chances of being snapped up by either one of them quickly is very good.

Another option for mid year hire is to contact the Universities of your choice and submit your C.V. now as there tends to be quite a bit of turnover mid year. Typically schools here do very little crisis planning and are more reactionary.
paul2key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Avoid Ankara - and especially TOBB Reply with quote

Ankara is an awful place to live - after spending a pleasant year in Izmir. But the job at TOBB ETU is even worse, as the boss is constantly changing promises, including requiring us to spend 10 hours at day at the office - though we were promised right before classes that we could arrive later in the morning if we were assigned late afternoon classes. This place is driving me crazy.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

─▒Iknow the city pretty well, where is that place that you speak of my fellow academic?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOBB ETU is the University of Economics and Technology in Ankara.

[url]http:// www.etu.edu.tr[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: