Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

go to BA to find work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjane123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: go to BA to find work? Reply with quote

I'm an Irish Girl who has nearly completed a year teaching kids in S Korea. I have a CELTA cert as well.
I thinking of moving to Buenos Aires in March 2011 to teach english and learn some spanish while im there.
Does anybody know if I have to go there to find a job or is it possible to secure a job before I go.
I just don't want to fork out a lot of money and then find that there is no work there.
What is the best time to look for teaching jobs there? Does anybody know what the job situation is like there at the moment? Is it difficult like a lot of countries?
Any advice would be great....
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that I've got a smart, outgoing British buddy who had a new CELTA B and he couldn't find anything in Buenos Aires. Finally went home to London.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Buenos Aires, it's usually easier to be in the city to land a job than to try from abroad, though you should start emailing as many schools as you can and staying in touch letting them know you'll be in town for X date (ask for an interview?).

If you could arrive just a bit earlier, you can take advantage of job openings for the beginning of the school year (early March).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sjane123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finishing up in Korea around the 20th February and I want to go home for a week or two so I was thinking of arriving there around March 5th. Would that be too late for the job openings?
katiok13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm a fellow Irish girl who is also hoping to go to Buenos Aires to teach English in July. I just came across your post and am wondering if you made the move and if so how are you getting on? Is it possible to find a job over there?
If you have any advice it would be very much appreciated!
KallyWally27

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably too late to help you, but I want to post this for anyone wondering.... I'm in BA now with a degree and a TEFL cert., and I have had no trouble finding work. A lot of people who came here early in the year are leaving, and companies are scrambling for replacements. After reading a lot of the posts here, I was nervous about finding work, but honestly I have had no trouble. Good luck!
wckusa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: details on your experience? Reply with quote

KallyWally27 wrote:
This is probably too late to help you, but I want to post this for anyone wondering.... I'm in BA now with a degree and a TEFL cert., and I have had no trouble finding work. A lot of people who came here early in the year are leaving, and companies are scrambling for replacements. After reading a lot of the posts here, I was nervous about finding work, but honestly I have had no trouble. Good luck!

KallyWally27, could you please share the pay situation, working hours, etc? Is it enough to have your own decent apartment and not sit alone at night counting pennies? Also, have you seen anyone get work in mid-late 50's? Thanks!
KallyWally27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wckusa, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I have seen a few teacher's in their mid/late fifties get work here. Not a ton, but I've probably met 4 or 5.

As far as salary, it's tough. It's hard to make a good salary. I teach around 25 hrs a week, plus 15 hours or so of commute time and then there's lesson planning on top of that. If I don't have too many cancelled classes, I can scrape together up to $4000 AR or about $1000 USD. It's livable, but just barely. I would be in trouble if I didn't have pretty extensive savings when I came down here. BA's expensive and salaries are low. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll write back more promptly, I promise!
leretif9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KallyWally:

I'm curious, how much money did you have when you landed in Buenos Aires? I'm trying to figure out how long ten grand in USD will last while looking for ESL work. Is inflation now at between 30 and 40 percent per year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: