Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chiang Mai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stagefire4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Chiang Mai Reply with quote

Listen I am sure this topic has been posted but I can't really seem to figure out a strait up answer. I want to move to Chiang Mai. I have a bit of savings, about 7 months teaching experience in China, a tefl, a foreign expert certificate, a bachelors, and I'm young and American looking, whatever that means.

Everyone says I am marketable just show up and I'll get a job. Cool. But how do I find out where to apply? How do I ENSURE I find a position. I visited the university in Chiang Mai and thought it was beautiful and looked like a vibrant place to work but how would I actually go about gaining employment here?

How do I find out where to even ask around to apply? I just can't leave my job here, which is comfortable without knowing I will be able to find work when I leave.

How did you do it? How much time did you need? How much did you ask for as a base pay? Are you happy?

I understand these questions seem a bit lazy like I haven't read enough of the forum but I assure you I really have read this forum often, and for a long time and can't figure out how you guys all took the step from "just showing up" to finding a job. How does one even know where to begin?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate any advice you can lend me. I want to make the move I just don't want to risk a good job for unemployment in a foreign country, ya know?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show up and i am sure you'll recieve offers to teach English in Chiang Mai. Also remember wages are much less than in Bangkok and the competion for jobs is tough. This is mainly due to senior citizens who retire in Chiang Mai and want to subsidize their pension income by teaching English. Good luck!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may ask what is a foreign expert certificate?
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FEC (foreign expert certificate) is only recognized in China. It has nothing to do with other countries. I also have a the FEC here in China. I don't think Thailand or other countries have such document or requirement. Since I've never taught there, I'm sure others will tell you otherwise.

Good luck,

Aaron
MNguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiang Mai is a tougher nut to crack than BKK. You'll find more success the farther outside of the city walls you look. There's an established expat community there, try to get in with a few people who seem to know what's going on and ask a lot of questions once you arrive.
MNguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
The FEC (foreign expert certificate) is only recognized in China. It has nothing to do with other countries. I also have a the FEC here in China. I don't think Thailand or other countries have such document or requirement. Since I've never taught there, I'm sure others will tell you otherwise.

Good luck,

Aaron

Would be completely meaningless in Thailand.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
Chiang Mai is a tougher nut to crack than BKK. You'll find more success the farther outside of the city walls you look. There's an established expat community there, try to get in with a few people who seem to know what's going on and ask a lot of questions once you arrive.

If you can teach a science subject or a couple of science subjects a person should find a job eventually. It could take a couple of months or a year. If you're young it helps also. I think a science job in Chiang Mai would pay 30000 where the same job in Bangkok would pay 40000. Chiang Mai is cheaper to live in but not that much cheaper. Also there is no bus system, so you would have to deal with expensive sometimes overcharging songthows, avoid the tuk tuks.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thai MOE has produced its own form of the Chinese foreign expert certificate for EFL Instructors who wish to legally teach in the LOS...it's called the Thai Cultural Course which teaches you the cultural norms/sensiitivities here so you can adjust to teaching Thai students. In this course Thai classical dancing is also taught. Once you complete this course you will be a certified EFL teacher here in the LOS!. Good luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: