Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA or MA TESOL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: DELTA or MA TESOL? Reply with quote

If I want to ıncrease my wages, should I aım at doıng the MA TESOL or the DELTA?
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll get some people saying that it doesn't make much difference to your salary, but they will probably be referring to jobs at language schools and at places like the British Council - but quite frankly, if you're not a tourist passing through, or if you're not a bored ex-pat housewife, I don't know why you'd want to work at any of these places in the first place ...

What the MA will do though is get you a shot at jobs at better universities with better pay and better all round working conditions. The Delta won't.

And if ever you fancied a stint in Qatar or the UAE, again, the MA would give you a chance at the better jobs. With the Delta, you'd be stuck in pretty crappy jobs with the TEFL Cert crew.

The difference between these 2 types of jobs is enormous. $5,000 to $5,500 / month + good/generous benefits + 2-3 months hols for the former; $2,500 to $3,000/ month + limited benefits (i.e. shared housing) + 4 weeks hols for the latter.

Even if you're not interested in working in the Gulf, I'd say if you want to get more established in the field, the MA better positions you for presenting at conferences and writing papers for publication, It is simply a continuation of the MA.
delal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you, PC Parrot. That makes everything much clearer, especially as I have no intention of ever working for the British Council or a language school...
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just take my word for it.

I hope someone will come along and sell the Delta on its merits. Anyone who is interested in improving their classroom effectiveness should probably get one.

Many people I work with have both, or if not a Delta & an MA, they have a PGCE & an MA, and I respect them for it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also know teachers with both DELTA and MA.
I think that the DELTA is usually taken by teachers who want to move into teacher training and/or DOS positions at private language schools. I agree with the Parrot that an MA is the best in to university jobs and publishing, etc. If you choose an MA that includes a practicum (there are a number that do) you can kill two birds with one stone to some degree.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say both depending on how serious you are.

The delta will get you in the door of a university and is considered equivalent to a masters in many places. I would say the delta is actually better than a lot of master progs and any decent uni or school knows that.

Why both? The delta will give you practical development while the masters will give you theoretical development. also many uk unis are now giving between 30-40 credits towards a ma or Msc.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The delta will get you in the door of a university and is considered equivalent to a masters in many places.

I've been on hiring committees in a couple of European universities (not in Turkey, I hasten to note). No way is a DELTA equivalent to an MA in most/all situations, though it's definitely a valuable qualification!

Quote:
The delta will give you practical development while the masters will give you theoretical development.

The practical/theoretical issue is not black-and-white, either. Though a DELTA involved practical experience in every case, some MA TESL/TEFL programs require it as well. It's inaccurate to say that an MA is theoretical only. Many MA programs are focused around classroom research, applying theory to practice throughout the program. Others require an actual supervised practicum. Some do neither, but by no means all!
svenhassel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also i said it was considered equivalent in "many" universities, not "most" and rightly so for the reason just mentioned. I would also add that it is becoming more so...

well it's all very subjective but with so many MA progs being totally unregulated while the delta is highly regulated the delta is gaining ground. it will get you an interview in a decent uni but you would need to show an interest in furthering your teaching skills with an masters on top of it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELTA might get one an interview in some decent universities, but not all/any - or maybe even many. Not saying it's incorrect to say that a DELTA CAN be an 'in' to a university, but by no means universally the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: