Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medellin Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
handog44

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Medellin Questions Reply with quote

Wow, its been a while since somebody posted in this forum...so I figured I would get things going.

Regarding the city of Medellin, where I am moving about a month and a half....what are some good neighborhoods for a relatively broke english teach to live in? From what I've read Laureles/Estadio seems like a safe neighborhood yet not as expensive as Poblado. Are there other areas like this? I'm hoping to live in a place where I feel safe at night, yet still pay around 200,000 - 350,000 COP /month for a room in an an apratment (hopefully with some outdoor space).

Also I was hoping to eventually find an apartment to live in with other young people like myself (20s)...what is the best way to find this dream apartment, and what neighborhoods should I look at?

Finally, does anyone have any insight on the soccer scene in Medellin. I've lived abroad before, and playing in a nightly pick up game of street soccer was my best way of making local friends. Anyone know of any good games are fields where finding consistent game is possible?

Thanks so much for any help!!!
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have the right idea with the neighborhoods. I walked through Laureles one time when I was visiting the UPB university in Medellin and it looked like a nice, calm, middle-class neighborhood. I don't know what the crime situation there is like now, so you'll have to ask around once you hit the ground in Medellin.

Compartoapto.com was fairly helpful for me in Bogota. You could also check out couchsurfing posts to see if people are renting on there. The bonus of that is you might have a slightly better idea of what you'd be getting yourself into.

If you're sharing with a few other people, I think you'll be able to get what you want within your budget. One word of warning: I don't recommend anybody who's broke to show up in Colombia. I would advise you to postpone moving to Colombia a year in order to save up money and work in the US. You'll still be able to live on a budget.

I don't know anything about soccer in Medellin, but am sure you'll find plenty of opportunities once you get there.
chromium

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

How much start up money do you think one needs to move to Colombia without a job, but live a decent furnished apartment until I find one? I'm thinking of Medellin.

I know you can't be specific, but would $5000 USD be sufficient, assuming I could find something paying around 2,000,000/mo. within a month or two?

Thank you for your help!
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromium wrote:
Hello,

How much start up money do you think one needs to move to Colombia without a job, but live a decent furnished apartment until I find one? I'm thinking of Medellin.

I know you can't be specific, but would $5000 USD be sufficient, assuming I could find something paying around 2,000,000/mo. within a month or two?

Thank you for your help!

You need flight money to get back home. Varies depending where you came from.

You need about a 2-3 month cushion / start up money to hold you over until you find a job and get your fist pay check. (600 usd minimal a month)

You can forget living in your own decent furnished apartment starting out. Price would be way to much to drop and you would need to sign a lease and do a deposit. Realistic option is finding a room to rent in someones house or apartment.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for Medellin, 600USD a month is enough to find housing and live frugally?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500-600 usd minimum a month living very frugal / local.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, $700 is comfortable? I'm not talking conspicuously consuming bourgeois piggie-style, either.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

700 usd isnt really comfortable considering 500-600 is the bare minimum.

800-1,000 usd would be more "comfortable".
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What are the best times of the year, or ideal months, for me to land in Medellin and look for a job as an English teacher? I'm from San Francisco, have a BA in English, and, as yet at least, I don't have a CELTA. The plan is to get one, though.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt bother getting a CELTA unless you wanted to make ESL a career or something you wanted to do for the next 5-10 years. In that case you might as well find a cheap MA TESOL. Very few jobs in Colombia require a CELTA. You got people teaching without even a degree. You have a BA in English which is better than most.

As for the times to look for work.

Schools start in January, and August. So you need to start applying about 2 months prior. Language Institutes hire year round.
robertokun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Hi,

What are the best times of the year, or ideal months, for me to land in Medellin and look for a job as an English teacher? I'm from San Francisco, have a BA in English, and, as yet at least, I don't have a CELTA. The plan is to get one, though.

If you want to work for the British Council, they do require the CELTA. Otherwise, don't bother, unless you personally want the training.
leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear about to No-CELTA option. But, what do those who know recommend in terms of having some idea of what I'm doing when I first find myself standing at the front of a classroom?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
I'm glad to hear about to No-CELTA option. But, what do those who know recommend in terms of having some idea of what I'm doing when I first find myself standing at the front of a classroom?

Basically just shitting the breeze in English. Not much training needed Wink
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:

There's plenty of good books specific to ESL teaching that you can find online.

Any of the How To books by Jeremy Harmer, Scott Thornbury and others, How To Teach Grammar, How to Teach English etc..

Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener.

Anything by Jill Hadfield, Communication Games, Vocabulary Games.

And loads more..

I've observed some terrible lessons by people who thought just turning up and speaking English was all that was needed. They thought they were the dogs wotsits though Wink
ctorres626

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of being there longer than 6 months on a tourist visa?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: