Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Housing allowances - how does it work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One shouldn't sigh when others can't comprehend your confusing posts. Now... which is which? So, the contractors pay 65% per your post above... and direct hires might get 3 months salary? So direct hires get less?

What with other posters suggesting the direct hires get more (of everything)... and/or get a place in the posh ARAMCO compound, why would anyone be confused?

VS
sicklyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
One shouldn't sigh when others can't comprehend your confusing posts. Now... which is which? So, the contractors pay 65% per your post above... and direct hires might get 3 months salary? So direct hires get less?

What with other posters suggesting the direct hires get more (of everything)... and/or get a place in the posh ARAMCO compound, why would anyone be confused?

VS

Even when those of us in the know (and, I might add, actually in the country) try to set the record straight, this thread demonstrates that you still persist in touting unverified rumour... perhaps simply to make some claim to relevance.

You can listen to any suggestions you want veiled, but here are some facts to digest which, to prevent John from copying and splicing my threads together to create something you find difficult to read, I'll spell out in detail:

If you work for a contractor to Aramco, you receive a base salary. Each month, on top of your base, you receive 65% of that to do with as you please. This is known on the contract as the "catering, accommodation and transport allowance." This is added to your paycheck monthly.

If you are a direct hire for Aramco, you are guaranteed a place on an Aramco compound. However, if you work in Dhahran and are not from the USA, you will not currently be offered a place on the Dhahran compound as it is full. Canadians used to get on there too but they haven't been able to as of this year. The nearest two others compounds you'll be offered are Abqaiq and Ras Tanura, roughly an hour south or north of Dhahran. You will not receive any compensation for the commute or any private transport. You will be able to use the Aramco buses which dawdle down the highway. I know one direct hire who works in the next building to me and lives in Abqaiq. He gets a 5:30am bus for a 7am start. I can leave for work at 6:45 am to be in by 7am.

If you choose not to live on the Aramco compound, you receive three months' salary towards housing and can live where you choose. This is paid once a year. This information comes from a direct hire I spoke to yesterday and who receives this allowance.

To summarise:
Aramco contractor = 65% housing allowance
Aramco direct hire = 25% housing allowance
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now was that so hard?

Sounds informative, but, of course, any reader might doubt you too. You could be some troll sitting in a basement in Bristol, or Brooklyn, or Brisbane creating those "rumors." Laughing

One of the many readers who are here asking about ARAMCO might want to know why contractors are +65% and direct hires are +25%. My guess would be because direct hires get a much higher salary?

Is that "rumor" correct?

VS
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it doesn't seem to be. I know Aramco direct hires who are on less than me for example although, in the office, the exact figures are closely guarded secrets. But at Aramco, even with contractors, salaries vary hugely depending on nationality, qualifications and previous experience, particularly if its in the ME.

On the whole, I think it is generally true that direct hires are on higher salaries, but not by any significant amount. They're certainly not "much higher".

I think the reason that contracted staff get such a large housing allowance is obvious: it's to counteract the fact that you are not provided any housing nor any help finding any when you arrive. The high figure is to compensate you for that, and I speak from experience when i say that it is very adequate compensation. I like the flexibility of being able to bank 70% of my housing allowance each month once my rent is paid.

Also, Aramco prefers, by all accounts, for its hires to live on its compounds. I'll leave you to consider why that might be. But suffice to say that offering lucrative alternatives for employees to find their own accommodation does not serve its own interests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: