Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auckland ESL Scene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RosieDodd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Auckland ESL Scene Reply with quote

Hello! I'll be moving from Chicago to Auckland this coming April looking for work in the ESL field - teaching, admin, whatever.

I have a Pass A CELTA and a bit of experience, including work at the Chicago satellite campus of UNAM (largest university in Latin America) for a few months. By then I'll also have my BA (with the American form of Honours) in Intercultural Communication.

I was wondering what the job scene is like in Auckland now, and how difficult it would be to find work (preferably full time) with my qualifications. I know there are many, many private English schools in Auckland. Looking at their websites, they all seem to require different levels of qualification. But will these schools be even looking to hire come April?

Thanks everyone! I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Auckland esl scene Reply with quote

Hi Rosie,

congratulations on completing your CELTA with an A and on gaining some experience.

As regards teaching work in Auckland, there's no change since my response to your previous posting in May, which I've pasted in below. Student numbers continue to be flat, which means few new teachers are being taken on. That situation is, I think, unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

If you have your working visa for NZ in hand, I suggest you contact some potential employers in February, sending them your CV and outlining your availability. You might pick up some casual hours. It would be useful if you familiarise yourself with Cambridge exams (FCE, CAE) and IELTS to enhance your employability.

good luck!

Martin

..... the EFL market in NZ is at a low point currently and I don't see much prospect of an upturn in the near future, given the high rate of the NZ dollar etc. I spoke to the Principal of one of the larger EFL schools in Auckland a couple of weeks ago. Student numbers there are currently 200, compared with 300 - 400 about 18 months ago. So, clearly, they are not in a recruiting phase.

There's nothing wrong with your overall plans - a number of teachers have followed your route before - but the lowish demand for teachers at the moment makes it less likely that you'll gain a medium to long-term contract with a school that I think you'll need to apply for a longer-term work permit and/or sponsorship towards permanent residency. Having an American accent won't, I think, be an issue at all. Timing-wise, summer is probably a good time to come (i.e. October onwards), but, as Artemisia said, you might want to check with the centre you are planning to take Celta at regarding advice about the best place to take it - as well as maybe asking some of the schools in the list I've put below. I think there are five Celta centres in AKL at the moment (Languages International, Auckland Language Centre, IH, Unitec, ELA (Auckland Uni) - details are available at the Cambridge ESOL website.

In your shoes, I might want to have a plan B. What might happen is that you pick up some hours of EFL teaching on your WH visa, do some other casual work, but might not be able to secure a permanent visa on the basis of employment. Other alternatives might include applying directly for permanent residence (I came to NZ under the skilled migrant scheme with my partner - neither of us had a job offer). Good luck,

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, Albany, New Zealand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: