Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McGinty School of English-Oops Watch Out!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: McGinty School of English-Oops Watch Out! Reply with quote

No, I'm not writing this post merely to diss the school. Actually, I got the impression from e-mails and the telephone interview that it was a really well-organised, stable, sensible school with a methodology that I thoroughly approve of. Indeed, I found myself nodding in agreement with most of the stuff the interviewer was saying. I asked some questions and was told that teachers were all on full-time contracts and some had stayed a few years. When I asked to contact teachers who'd taught there last year my comment was brushed aside. I had it clear in my mind that I was going to Spain to work and not for the sunshine.
Two days later I had the honour of being accepted for the job! Could I fly out as soon as possible? I said yes, and I was about to book a flight to Almeria for 2 days later, even though the only available flight this week was expensive.
On the day I was to fly out, I got an e-mail from the director saying the job offer had been withdrawn, and it was not because of references. Okay, but what if I had flown out when asked and gone there with a big smile on my face ready to take up the job only to be told there was no job for me? I would have been livid! I hasten to add that the job ad is still there.
I can't say that it's a bad school, by any means. There's nothing much about it on Dave's ESL. On another forum there were some wonderful comments about this school. So I CAN'T say don't go there. Just be extra careful that you really have been given a position. But I am a quite experienced teacher by now and I did wonder why McGinty School of English wouldn't let me contact teachers who'd worked there previously, or who'd signed up for another year. Their comments would have been helpful, even fascinating...
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear what happened!

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't accept a job offer from Spain unless you're actually there as this is the sort of thing schools can get up to! You also have to think what kind of school is going to hire you as a teacher without ever physically meeting you. I wouldn't want to put somebody in front of my customers without meeting them first. (hypothetically, as I don't own a school) I do know people who have done what you did and it worked out OK, though. My bet is that in this case, another teacher doorstepped them and they went with him/her for the reason above.

I have to say that asking to contact the teachers might have sounded slightly unreasonable to them. Put yourself in their position and it might sound like you're vetting them which you were probably right to do considering what happened! Of course it depends on the reason you gave for contacting them: If you just wanted some advice about teaching there (classes, materials, level) then that is fine.

If you go over to Spain, I'm sure you'll manage to find a position if you have good experience.
Sublime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: McGinty School of English-Oops Watch Out! Reply with quote

JRJohn wrote:
No, I'm not writing this post merely to diss the school. Actually, I got the impression from e-mails and the telephone interview that it was a really well-organised, stable, sensible school with a methodology that I thoroughly approve of. Indeed, I found myself nodding in agreement with most of the stuff the interviewer was saying. I asked some questions and was told that teachers were all on full-time contracts and some had stayed a few years. When I asked to contact teachers who'd taught there last year my comment was brushed aside. I had it clear in my mind that I was going to Spain to work and not for the sunshine.
Two days later I had the honour of being accepted for the job! Could I fly out as soon as possible? I said yes, and I was about to book a flight to Almeria for 2 days later, even though the only available flight this week was expensive.
On the day I was to fly out, I got an e-mail from the director saying the job offer had been withdrawn, and it was not because of references. Okay, but what if I had flown out when asked and gone there with a big smile on my face ready to take up the job only to be told there was no job for me? I would have been livid! I hasten to add that the job ad is still there.
I can't say that it's a bad school, by any means. There's nothing much about it on Dave's ESL. On another forum there were some wonderful comments about this school. So I CAN'T say don't go there. Just be extra careful that you really have been given a position. But I am a quite experienced teacher by now and I did wonder why McGinty School of English wouldn't let me contact teachers who'd worked there previously, or who'd signed up for another year. Their comments would have been helpful, even fascinating...

I was told the golden rule of thumb is never take a job where they don't seem keen to let you contact past/current teachers. I don't care what excuse people come up with but it just seems down right suspicious. What are they hiding.

Look at it the other way around. If I didn't want any past jobs/references looking into it would probably be because something negative happened. (i.e. - got sacked, left job early etc. etc.).
clarke501

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more personal experiences of this school? Apparently they are still hiring.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Apparently They Are Still Hiring Reply with quote

Apparently McGinty School is still hiring. That may simply be because economic desperation is driving more and more people to study English, and hence the school is expanding. Or it could be that they hired someone and very quickly decided they didn't like them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: