Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robbed in Rome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickyman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Robbed in Rome Reply with quote

I am writing to inform people of a horrendous experience I had in Rome and warn them not to fall for the same crooks as I did.

Like many English people here I am struggling to survive in the face of spiralling prices (not salaries of course) and irregular work. Last year I worked for a school 'WorldWide' which never paid me correctly:

The first month's pay arrived 30 days late as I was about to leave for my holiday in England and 'the boss was unavailable' so they made me wait then finally give up and spend my holiday unpaid. On returning I telephoned - no answer - I telephoned the next day - they said come in TOMORROW - then they gave me a cheque (50 Euros too low) to be cashed THE FOLLOWING DAY.

The second month's pay arrived ten days late and 75 Euros too low.

The third month (September) I earned 1,900 Euros to be paid on 10 October. I received 1,000 Euros on 25 October and was told the rest would 'arrive shortly'. So I resigned at the end of the month - with September's outstanding pay (900 Euro) plus October's (1200 Euro) unpaid.

On 10 November I met Giuseppe Merenna, the CEO of the company in charge ('Project and Consulting Company'), and his son Bruno. Giuseppe said he was fed up with my 'whinging' and I could go on chasing him and he could go on avoiding me - OR he'd make me an offer. Not much of a choice. The offer was a cheque post-dated to 24 November for the 900 Euro; then October's 1200 Euro to follow in 2 instalments (23.12.10, 23.1.11). Clearly I had to accept.

When 24 November arrived I patiently went to the bank to cash the cheque, and to my disgust discovered it was not covered by funds! In a rage I burst into the school and as they saw I was beside myself they paid it in cash from the safe.

The remaining two installments have not arrived and clearly never will. I telephoned Giuseppe and he made excuses; I went to the school where they ignored me, then derided me, and finally said the money would be transferred to my bank account. Of course it wasn't.

Giuseppe has not responded to a letter from my lawyer nor even a judge's injunction - and as he has closed 'Project and Consulting Company' they have nowhere to send the bailiffs. Meanwhile, the school has changed its name (now Redford Educational Center) and when I civilly aproached Bruno to enquire his plans, he (a) denied knowing me, (b) attacked me physically, and (c) called the police telling them I was creating trouble. The Redford secretary told me to ask for payment from another WorldWide boss, a Quirino Caparelli, who has now founded another school (Michigan Center): he told me to ask for payment from Redford! When I told him I was prepared to continue legal action, he said, 'Do what the hell you like, I don't care, this is Italy.'

Searching the Internet these people have a long history of fraud and NO ONE STOPS THEM. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTQakFxDGQ, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137719399604830, http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/1996/maggio/25/Truffe_immobiliari_continuo_aumento_Nasce_co_10_9605251993.shtml, http://www.ciao.it/Opinionisulprodotto/WORD_WIDE_SCHOOL__2498967...

The worst thing is no one seeems to be supporting me or anyone else they've robbed.
Sublime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I would have probably started looking for new jobs after the first month. A leopard never changes its spots.

Still, thanks for the heads up.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, only it was mid-August and it was that or nothing. Plus in classic swindler style they were very good at switching on the charm.
I'm trying the TU this week, keeping all my body parts crossed!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably, all this happened last year? Have you been working somewhere else this year? (Hopefully with a happier outcome...)

There's not a huge amount anyone can do if they've been shortchanged by an Italian employer. You can try your local union (CGIL have offices in most places) and ask for advice there. You could perhaps even try the Guardia di Finanzia, but if anything ever goes to court, it could take a long time to settle.

In smaller places, it's also worth contacting the local paper with a story, but although you could do some serious reputation damage, you're unlikely to see your money back.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am trying CGIL. Meanwhile I've been working sporadically, we live in hope!
Mr Gavoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Presumably, all this happened last year? Have you been working somewhere else this year? (Hopefully with a happier outcome...)

There's not a huge amount anyone can do if they've been shortchanged by an Italian employer. You can try your local union (CGIL have offices in most places) and ask for advice there. You could perhaps even try the Guardia di Finanzia, but if anything ever goes to court, it could take a long time to settle.

In smaller places, it's also worth contacting the local paper with a story, but although you could do some serious reputation damage, you're unlikely to see your money back.

Usually the only effective course of action is a gun. Having said this, the Guardia di Finanza would be interested in learning of this story, and with the proper paperwork, it is possible to take it to court - and win.

"This is Italy" means that things are overly bureaucratic and sluggish, but the law does work in the end. Crooks like this one - in my country there are many, alas - simply bank on the fact that it can take claimants months, possibly years, to get what they're owed.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It ain't over yet! The guardia di finanza also said 'This is Italy' but I'm still trying. Two facebook pages (Worldwide 'truffa') may be of interest, support welcome.
Mr Gavoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine how you feel. Actually, at this point I don't like your chances of getting your money (unless you want to pursue the weaponry option). I can also very well figure what kind of sordid business these scumbags orchestrate.

One thing, for the future. Checks always make my alarm bells go off, and just for your information, postdated checks are technically illegal:

"E' illegale emettere assegni postdatati. Se questi vengono portati all�incasso prima della data e risultano coperti (cio� c �� disponibilit� di denaro sul conto corrente di chi lo ha emesso), la banca deve pagare l�assegno e deve denunciare all�Ufficio del registro chi lo ha emesso per evasione dell�imposta di bollo (D.P.R. 642/72). Se l�assegno risulta scoperto il decreto 507/99 non configura pi� il fatto come reato penale, obbligando l �emittente al pagamento di sanzioni amministrative diversificate: da 516 a 3098 euro per l �assegno scoperto fino a 10329,14 euro, da 1032 a 6197 euro se l �assegno � superiore a 10329,14 euro. Se l�emittente non onora il pagamento entro 60gg., interviene il prefetto che notifica la violazione all�interessato entro 90 gg. Se il pagamento viene effettuato entro i 60 gg., non vengono applicate n� le sanzioni, n� il protesto, ma gli interessi di mora, la penale del 10%e le eventuali spese amministrative."

In a nutshell:

It is [b]illegal to draw post-dated checks. If you show up at the bank before the written date, and there are sufficient funds to cover it, the bank must let you cash it in right away and they will also report the fact to a certain Office as a tax-dodging attempt. If on the other hand it is a bad check, this is no longer considered a criminal act, but the party who drew it will incur in a number of heavy fines and has got 60 days to pay for it.
[/b]

Of course, this is theory, and in practice things are not so easy, especially since bad checks are issues that no longer pertain to the penal code. In addition to that, this guy sounds like he's pretty skilled at covering his own ass. Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always call the bank right away if you are given a check, whatever the date, and verify that there are funds - and then go cash it immediately. But on the other hand, you were waiting for the next payment, so they had you by the balls.

Bah, all in all, I have nothing useful to say. Except this: watch the movie Romanzo Criminale, and chill.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. The more informed and open-eyed we are, the less these *beep* will get their way. Incidentally the TU told me if your employer is ONE SINGLE DAY late in paying, you can go to the TU and they can block his/her/its account.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More here http://tefltradesman.blogspot.com/. Got the EL Gazzette interested too.
Have a laugh or cry: In the last picture here's Quirino pretending to be a teacher with his cronies pretending to be students!!! http://​www.michiganschoolcenter.com/​index.php?page=sedi
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Do you know where he parks his car Wink?
Mickyman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East Hell.
Mickyman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Quirino Caparelli has closed Michigan Center. The swindle is the same as WorldWide:
The student signs a contract with the finance company which pays the school upfront while the student has to pay the finance co. back in instalments; the teacher isn't paid; then the school suddenly disappears. Thus they put all the money in their pockets, the student has to pay anyway, and the teacher has no organisation against which to take legal action. (Wall Street Institute also have the student sign with the financial company not the school so even if you can't attend you have to keep paying.)
2. There's a blog on Giuseppe and Bruno Merenna's new rip-off Redford (ex-Worldwide, Rome) at http://blog.libero.it/redfordschool/commenti.php?msgid=10581684 . The funny / sad thing is the only two positive comments came from the same PC on the same day, sound suspicious?
Mickyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little light reading http://quirin3.wix.com/worldwide-e-oltre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: