Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters in Education ...What does it qualify you for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weshh1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Masters in Education ...What does it qualify you for? Reply with quote

Im considering getting my Masters in Education before I potentially go abroad to teach. Will having any type of Masters in Education qualify me to teach at the University level? Or does it need to be MA TESOL?

Im thinking of going for my Masters in Special Education K-12.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking about two entirely different fields. For university TEFL positions, an M.Ed may fit the bill depending on where in the world you're applying to. That is, some universities accept them while others---like those in the UAE, for example---want to see an MA in TESOL/related MA or at least, an M.Ed with a focus in TEFL/TESOL. However, a Masters in Special Ed k-12 (plus a teaching license) obviously won't qualify you for a position teaching EFL to adults.
weshh1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad! I guess im wondering which countries/schools would possibly accept any form of Masters in Education?

I may try to get some type of specialization while im at grad school that would apply towards tesol or atleast look relevant.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, keep in mind that local teachers in most countries also have these qualifications. MA Ed doesn't specifically qualify you to teach language - and what other aspect of education would put you in a niche that local teachers can't fill?
rtm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Masters in Education ...What does it qualify you for? Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Will having any type of Masters in Education qualify me to teach at the University level? Or does it need to be MA TESOL?

I had a friend in Japan who taught at a university with an M.Ed. in early childhood education. However, she also had a couple years of EFL teaching experience, and although she taught EFL at the university, many of her students were future primary school teachers, so the degree wasn't completely irrelevant. Some places in Japan might take someone with an unrelated M.Ed., but you might need to spin it a little.
weshh1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks! Good to hear that its out there rtm.

spiral, I guess native english teacher from the US is one thing. But Im hoping to find a niche with special ed, i know there is a high demand in the US. I have a feeling there might be other countries that are in need as well.
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Im hoping to find a niche with special ed, i know there is a high demand in the US. I have a feeling there might be other countries that are in need as well.

Again, just speaking about Japan, I knew a couple people on the JET program who taught at special-needs schools (school for the blind, school for the deaf, special-ed school [cognitive impairment]). Some of them had a related background, but not all.

At the (mainstream) public schools I taught in in Japan, there was sometimes a class of 5-6 special education students. However, the (Japanese) teacher assigned to that class often had little or no special ed training, and those students didn't get any time in a classroom with normally-functioning students. What the schools needed was a Japanese special ed teacher, before a foreign special ed teacher to teach the students English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: