Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nanyang (Nan Yang) Normal University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravelTeacher83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Nanyang (Nan Yang) Normal University Reply with quote

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of Nanyang Normal University in Henan Province or has anyone taught there or known anyone that taught there? I might have a possible job there and based what I've seen on the ad, it doesn't look like a bad gig and seems pretty standard to what I've seen from other Chinese universities. However, I'm very interested to get other views.

Any feedback on this place would be great and helpful. Thank you!
xiguagua

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's a board member currently in Nanyang or in that location. At any rate, there have been plenty of threads about Nanyang in the past. Most of them negative, but I would encourage people to read themselves and form their own conclusions. There's a lot of negative out there, but it's not always justified.
thechangling

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the threads about about this Normal college and the other technical college in Nanyang but it doesn't seem clear whether the job and living conditions are ok or not.
So can any of the previous or newer posters give us an update about either of the universities in Nanyang with reference to job, living conditions, honesty of admin etc? cheers.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Nanyang Normal University Reply with quote

I live in Nanyang, but I do not work in that university.

Nanyang is a nice quiet place to live.

If you want a friendly place, cmoe here. If you are looking for a lot of foreigners, do not. If you are looking for bars, do not. If you are looking for western food, we have some but not a lot of it.

But if you want some place nice and quite, come here. The people are very friendly.The weather has 4 seasons. Winter was cold, but not so freeing, and just a little snow.

Cost of living is cheap, but there is nothing exciting to do.

Does not sound so great from what I said, bu I love living here in Nanyang.

Remember, what one person loves, another person may hate.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xiguagua wrote:
I believe there's a board member currently in Nanyang or in that location. At any rate, there have been plenty of threads about Nanyang in the past. Most of them negative, but I would encourage people to read themselves and form their own conclusions. There's a lot of negative out there, but it's not always justified.

Agreed. IMO negative posts are usually the result of lack of research or unmet expectations, which manifests in the poster blaming the location/school/city rather than his/her inability to adapt to a situation. Specific problems like lack of pay notwithstanding.

I've been in Nanyang for several years, and while I agree that an upgrade in terms of food choices would be welcome, I find it an entirely pleasant city. Everything is dependent on one's needs and desires, but for me this place works very well. What teachingld2004 said is pretty much on the spot.

thechangling, PM me with any questions re the Unis here. I'm obviously having a good experience here, but you have to pick the right one. Wink
thechangling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nanyang Normal University is advertising again for Feb 2014 and I've emailed a couple of teachers whose emails i was kindly supplied with but thought I'd post here again as well to ask for some independent info from current or previous teachers about the Normal college there.
I emailed the FAO of the Technical institute in Nanyang too using an old 2007 email address I found online about vacancies there too, but no reply thus far.
colonel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was employed there in 2007.
Teaching young ladies who wanted to be teachers.
Therefore, one wasn't 'talking to the wall' - as is often the case.
I have no hesitation in recommending the University - the city, though, is limited.
TesolTime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently teaching at that school now. I like the school and the students very much, and I have no reservations about recommending it. However, like others have said, the city/town is quite dead. Nice, but dead. I prefer having a good job in a boring city versus a bad job in an exciting city anyday.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: