Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wages in Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mothlight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Wages in Spain Reply with quote

I'm looking to go to Spain soon, but was wondering what the wages are like and which city would be best to start of in?

I have a Masters Education (TESOL) and several years experience and intermediate level Spanish.

Also, is there much concern for the accent of teachers? I'm Australian (but also hold a British passport)

Thank you Very Happy
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wages in Spain Reply with quote

mothlight wrote:
I'm looking to go to Spain soon, but was wondering ...which city would be best to start of in?

Not to be rude but one of the three most recent threads is a two page one called "Best City to Start Out?" Wouldn't that be a logical starting point rather than asking a question recently dealt with?
SirKirby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, in this case, I think the OP is asking a different question, re wages.

Sorry to disappoint, but I suspect the sort of salary you can expect a language school in Spain to pay you is much lower than your expectations or qualifications. Qualifications don't count for much in terms of pay scales.

Unless you land lucrative private classes in companies (or other privates), you'll be very lucky to take home more than 1200-1500 euros a month.

Language teaching in Spain, in most cases, is very poorly paid.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they asked several questions, one of them was regarding best place to start, which is difficult to answer without knowing more about the o.p.s interests and preferences and already has a large recent thread devoted to it.

Wages like you say are poor but people should remember the additional caveat: those wages are only for nine months. For July, August and September you're on your own and either have to save 25% of your income every month just for summer, live off savings or other income or do summer courses. In the private language school sector, having qualifications better than CELTA generally doesn't get rewarded with much financially, if anything. That seems to be true across Europe.

Regarding accents, unless you have a very strong regional accent, I don't think schools care. They're generally interested in people who are native speakers, have some certificate and EU working rights.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the expected hourly rate outside of Madrid and Barcelona? What is the maximum amount of hours a novice teacher (in Europe at least) should work?

I got offered an interview for a job in Seville that paid 1100 euros/month for 23 hours/week (tax and social security paid for by the school). Works out to just under 12 euros/hour. Is that lower than the average hourly rate available?
joey2001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about privates? What's the standard in Madrid for example? How about other languages? Are there any that are more popular than English and pay more? Is online teaching an option here? I'm new to the market here (been teaching in China for the past 12 years), am currently in Madrid but will be staying in Cadiz province for a while soon. I don't care if the pay is lower there, as I will have a place to stay and not many expenses. Any chance I can make over 20 euros an hour anywhere in Spain? Are Spanish skills a requirement for freelance teachers? My Spanish is still very basic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: