Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help and advice on buying a bike (in HCMC)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb400

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, since the profit/savings margins for doing things here are so much lower than back home maybe a 1-2% saving on fuel from not running the lights (can't find any hard data on motorbikes, that's a best guess from car data) isn't so stupid. That would be what, 100-200 dong a litre?

Of course someone could also mention the fuel savings to be had from accelerating smoothly and driving slowly...

Lights do not run on gasoline, they use electricity... the gas savings is a myth.

Driving style has the most effect of fuel mileage and proper vehicle maintenance is second for fuel savings.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the electricity to charge the batteries must be supplied by burning petrol the amount used would be very small and unnoticeable.

Driving 'better' with less spurts and braking hard would certainly make far more difference.

The bad driving is one of he major nuisances of living here. It just makes any travel unpleasant and tends to make me stay home more than I would ideally.
JSutt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
Quote:
Well, since the profit/savings margins for doing things here are so much lower than back home maybe a 1-2% saving on fuel from not running the lights (can't find any hard data on motorbikes, that's a best guess from car data) isn't so stupid. That would be what, 100-200 dong a litre?

Of course someone could also mention the fuel savings to be had from accelerating smoothly and driving slowly...

Lights do not run on gasoline, they use electricity... the gas savings is a myth.

I think you might be a little confused: fuel runs the engine, engine turns the alternator, alternator charges the battery, battery runs the light. Fuel runs the light, it's not a separate system at all. Less lights, less drain on the battery, less fuel required to charge it; hence, fuel savings.

Quote:
Though the electricity to charge the batteries must be supplied by burning petrol the amount used would be very small and unnoticeable.

Well that's my point, our idea of 'very small' is perhaps not the same as the Vietnamese' idea (Vietnamese's? Vietname'se?). You think it's stupid, but the people where I live will haggle over 500 dong at the market, so it's on the same level.
skarper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is rational at all - but it is an understandable mistake to make.

If you don't use your battery to run the lights its lifespan will be shortened - offsetting any saving from fuel consumption. Also - I thought the alternator will run anyway and try to charge the battery?

In Da Nang I don't see a lot of folks driving without lights. Bicycles yes - electric or pedal - and that is doubly dangerous because they are silent.

The number one danger IMO is accelerating too fast and braking too hard. If people could somehow be educated to drive smoothly it would save energy, their money and most importantly lives.

But Vietnam is far from the only country with this problem.
montblanc20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with braking too hard. I was driving at an ok speed and braked when the light turned red. A lot of motorbikes behind me ran the red light and one honked at me because I stopped too quickly. I guess if it's close, then you're just supposed to go through it.
cb400

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Fuel runs the light' -This is completely false. I normally don't argue with Vietnamese about their 'myths' but really?

How much am I using when the motor is off and the lights are on? None. The lights will stay on until the battery is dead of I recharge the battery with the generator (most bikes use a gen not an alt.)

yes, yes I know that charging the battery will technically pull from the engine using a slight bit more fuel.... 0.5 - 0.75% more maybe..

I would like to counter this by saying use the feckin horn every 2 seconds like an idiot is going to use more gas that the lights... same principal really.

Driving with no lights to save gas is as stupid as using the horn every 2 seconds..

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/technical-articles/how-motorcycle-charging-system-works
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:
Be careful with braking too hard. I was driving at an ok speed and braked when the light turned red. A lot of motorbikes behind me ran the red light and one honked at me because I stopped too quickly. I guess if it's close, then you're just supposed to go through it.

Which is of course ridiculous, given that it's impossible to be taken by surprise by a red light that has a count down (and even then has 3 seconds of orange countdown afterwards).
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually noticed an improvement in stopping for red lights at least here in danang. And the people that still run them are usually given dirty glares.
skarper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enforcing traffic regulations could be done with a sustained effort.

On the spot fines with more severe penalties for repeat offenders would help a lot. Some driver education films on TV would help too.

As always this will be difficult to implement due to the usual problems, but it could be done. Given the deteriorating traffic situation something will have to be done or it will become impossible to move about the larger cities at all.

Helmets are an example of what could be done. I know 60% do not wear helmets in a manner that would actually do any good - but it is a start.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Driving with no lights to save gas is as stupid as using the horn every 2 seconds..

and yet, life goes on, the myth is more fun than the truth, Welcome to VN
montblanc20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you ride with earplugs? I am starting to think that it is a good idea for riding over 40 mph for long distances. My ears are ringing very badly today.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never thought of using ear plugs. I've never had my ears hurt or ring driving around. And I drive between Danang and Hoi An at more than double that speed. Perhaps there's another cause.
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:
Do any of you ride with earplugs? I am starting to think that it is a good idea for riding over 40 mph for long distances. My ears are ringing very badly today.

I had an Andes helmet the covered the ears, worth it for cutting out alot of sound.
Demonietto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
montblanc20 wrote:

I had an Andes helmet the covered the ears, worth it for cutting out alot of sound.

If I didn't have a full-face helmet I would probably wear earplugs or headphones. It is very loud out there, though I might be more worried about public schools at recess Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: