Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

norarisation of degrees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vabeckele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: norarisation of degrees Reply with quote

I am British national having to go to the UK for a visa into S.A.. One thing that hasn't been answered, after writing to the embassy, whether my degrees from Finland need to be notarised by a Finnish authority or can any legal office in the UK do it and be accepted.

Does anyone have experience with this and could give advice?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be done by the authorities in the jurisdiction where the document originated. Might be possible through Finnish Embassy in London if that is more convenient.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vabeckele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
This has to be dome by the authorities in the jurisdiction where the document originated. Might be possible through Finnish Embassy in London if that is more convenient.

Thank you.
Richard62

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MA is from the UK, but I got it notarized by the public notary and the relevant ministries and subsequently got it stamped by the Saudi Embassy, all in mainland Europe. This is possible, because a public notary can notarize any paper, regardless of where and by whom it was produced. I can write "I am the king of the kings" on a piece of paper, and take it to a public notary. They will simply make a photocopy of this, and then sign and declare that they saw the original copy and that the photocopy is a true copy of the original piece. Then I would have to take it to the Ministry of Justice, who would stamp and testify that the public notary is indeed a genuine notary. Then I would have to take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who would stamp and testify that the Ministry of Justice is genuine. Then I would have to take it to the Saudi embassy, where they would stamp and testify that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is indeed genuine. This is how I managed to get my UK diploma legalised outside of the UK (in one of the Western European countries). I work for a public university in KSA as a direct hire. But some employers, especially in the government institutions, require that you get your diploma stamped not only by the Saudi embassy, but also by the Saudi Cultural Mission. In that case, you have no option, but to get this process done in the country where you obtained your diploma.
trapezius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better ask your employer how they want this done. In many cases, degrees have to be attested by the Saudi authorities in the country where the degree was obtained. So you might have to get it attested by Saudi Embassy in Finland. Better find out before you land here and your employer tells you that's how they wanted it, and then you have to get that process done while sitting in Saudi, which is not going to be pleasant.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notarisation is not enough. You need an APOSTILLE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

Of course ot all depends on how some Saudi pen-pusher is feeling on the day he has your papers.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I thank you all for your answers I am still confused. All of your experiences tell me it can be done in any number of ways.

I suppose I will have to keep on pushing for an answer from the embassies. I have written to both the one in London and in Helsinki, but with no reply as yet - I will update you on my hoop jumping when I know more.

Thank you all again.

p.s. what about the medical? Just to muddy the waters a little more. Again, I am told I should have it done in the UK, but surely an international hospital should be able to satisfy an legal problems? 300 quid for an x-ray and a blood panel in the UK.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to use common sense and/or logic.

And don't expect any embassy to answer a letter or email... you are lucky if they will answer a phone.

This is definitely an area where other people's experiences may or may not be of any help at all.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not expect a reply from the Saudi Embassy. You MIGHT be able to speak to someone at the SACM. (Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission.)
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is definitely an area where other people's experiences may or may not be of any help at all. "

if my experience is of any help: I have degrees from the US and UK. My potential employer told me to send my certificates to the SACM in the US, as I will be applying for a visa from the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: