Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assessment Criteria for Writing and Plagiarism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Assessment Criteria for Writing and Plagiarism Reply with quote

Knowledge of synonyms and varieties of grammatical structures as well as the ability to see the main points of content in English are the reasons why my students often plagiarize themselves. Further more, the local English language education does not appear to be addressing these issues, my courses do not prepare the students adequately in the areas of paraphrasing and summarizing and my criteria seem to be way too lenient toward the assessment of my students’ carbon copy work. What the guidelines call for is, to me, pretty difficult to evaluate by the standards provided. My challenge is in grading students’ content and especially the sentence structure. How to judge a cloned content is one problem; how to rate plagiarized sentences’ grammatical structure is another one.

So, if the content and grammatical structures are in your writing courses’ criteria, how do you assess your students’ replications with respect to the content and sentence structure? Do you take their plagiarism into consideration or not? If you accept copying from original texts, do you go by percentages of how much the plagiarism is present and if so then how you calculate that?
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first sentence is a real puzzler ........, but in marking I have always disregarded any copied sentences (ie. no credit at all). Just mark the rest.

If they are re-producing textbook sentence structures with different content then that should be good , right?
Zhejiang_Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my students often plagiarize themselves

I’ve heard writers plagiarize themselves at book fairs. They do a partial reading of their most recently published tome without referencing or giving credit to the author.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenoso wrote:
Your first sentence is a real puzzler ........, but in marking I have always disregarded any copied sentences (ie. no credit at all). Just mark the rest.

If they are re-producing textbook sentence structures with different content then that should be good , right?
I want to ignore any replicated sentences too but have an issue with what plagiarism is given the crateria which states that adequacy is when "some plagiarism is detected" or when "original voice intrudes". This, to my knowledge, is contradictory. Zero tolerance is what I have learned before.

Reconstructing the text content with synonyms while using passive rather than the originally active voice, for example, would do the job. Should 30-40 % of copied work pass?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: