Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
latinamericaorasiaorbust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Considering Thailand Reply with quote

Hello. I’m American and have taught in South Korea for one year followed by approximately 8 years of teaching EFL in various Middle Eastern countries. I would like a change in scenery and am strongly considering Thailand. I have a Master of Science (not an MA) in Education and a CELTA (6 years experience post CELTA). I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

1.With my credentials, can I get a job that pays more than after school language academies? If so, what other types of institutions can I apply to? What about a college?

2. What is the minimum amount of pay I should expect if working at a low level language academy?

3. Can I save anything in Thailand? (Getting close to middle aged, so don’t need to go out a lot.) (I am debt free so I would consider a low level position if I could save a little money.)

4. With my credentials, could I work at a Thai K-12 school, or MUST I be licensed?

5. Do most jobs in Thailand include medical coverage? If not, which EFL jobs do, if any?

6. Is there a preference for Caucasian instructors? Do you know of any native English-speaking teachers that aren’t Caucasian?

7. For most jobs, is it better to arrive as a tourist and then apply, or is it possible to find a job before flight?

8. Is it possible to change employers after starting a position? Or is it difficult without leaving the country and returning?

9. Can I teach at an international school or is a license required?

10. Do I have a shot at making 75000 and get benefits with my qualifications?

11. Is there a certain time of year that is better to apply?

12. Am I correct in assuming flights are not paid for nor reimbursed? If only some institutions, may I ask the names of institutions that you know of which do pay upfront or reimburse?

I sincerely thank you for any feedback you can provide. Please feel free to PM me. And if anyone has considered the Middle East, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as I have worked in the U.A.E., Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar. Thank you again.
torentosan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Considering Thailand Reply with quote

latinamericaorasiaorbust wrote:
Hello. I’m American and have taught in South Korea for one year followed by approximately 8 years of teaching EFL in various Middle Eastern countries. I would like a change in scenery and am strongly considering Thailand. I have a Master of Science (not an MA) in Education and a CELTA (6 years experience post CELTA). I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

1.With my credentials, can I get a job that pays more than after school language academies? If so, what other types of institutions can I apply to? What about a college?

2. What is the minimum amount of pay I should expect if working at a low level language academy?

3. Can I save anything in Thailand? (Getting close to middle aged, so don’t need to go out a lot.) (I am debt free so I would consider a low level position if I could save a little money.)

4. With my credentials, could I work at a Thai K-12 school, or MUST I be licensed?

5. Do most jobs in Thailand include medical coverage? If not, which EFL jobs do, if any?

6. Is there a preference for Caucasian instructors? Do you know of any native English-speaking teachers that aren’t Caucasian?

7. For most jobs, is it better to arrive as a tourist and then apply, or is it possible to find a job before flight?

8. Is it possible to change employers after starting a position? Or is it difficult without leaving the country and returning?

12. Am I correct in assuming flights are not paid for nor reimbursed? If only some institutions, may I ask the names of institutions that you know of which do pay upfront or reimburse?

I sincerely thank you for any feedback you can provide. Please feel free to PM me. And if anyone has considered the Middle East, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as I have worked in the U.A.E., Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar. Thank you again.

1.If you are a certified teacher..certainly. You can try you luck with an M.S. Private schools.
2.With an MS and no teaching license.. I think you can get 50,000bht. If you had a teaching license, I would be more comfortable asking for 50,00-60,000.
3. On 50,000, you may be able to save around $400US-$600US per month if you never go to a bar.
4. There are a lot of Private K-12 schools that will hire you for 40,000bht. I really think you should hold out for 50,000.
5.Most do. They use Bupa.
6. Caucasian is preferred. If you are not Caucasian you are not going to have much luck...or a good time in daily living.
7. It's better to try to get your visa lined up before you come. You can do a visa run after finding work in Thailand..but some schools may decide not to help you with it. Some people end up working on tourist visas and do border runs every month to keep their tourist visas up to date.
8.You can do it but you may end up back on a tourist visa.
9.You need a teaching license to teach at international schools.
10. You're not going to see 75,000.
11. Most any time, but March or July may be good months to arrive.
12.none.
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Endless Reply with quote

I have an M.S. in Education and do not have an active teaching license. I was hired at one of the "real" international schools in Bangkok at 85,000 THB as a local hire. The salary increased the second year of my contract.

Opportunities are endless in Thailand. Wink
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get a job at a K-12 School? Most likely you will be able to. Will you ever make 75000 with your qualifications? Most likely not. There are a lot of people in Thailand that have Licenses back home and lots of experience. Everybody comes here for a permanent vacation. You might be able to gat a job at an International School (Although lots of schools call themselves International). As far as the top 4 International Schools that are real, there in no way you will get a job there without being licensed back home and even if you were licensed most likely not anyway.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always told my fellow EFL educators that coming to the LOS to teach English is no problem if you are qualified. If one comes to the LOS solely for financial gain one must lower ones expectations or be in for a REAL shock!
Kitkat Biriyani

Location: New Venkatanarasimharajuvaripea, Missouri, USA, Q!Q!QQQ!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: all doom and gloom in thailand.....!!! Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
there in no way you will get a job there without being licensed back home and even if you were licensed most likely not anyway.

rather pessimistic and presumptuous of 'everyone else's' ability.....perhaps a little more positivity/determination from others and they will, with the correct qualifications and experience, reach their goals.

Good luck all/don't be put off
Time for a spot of lunch,
Kitkat Biriyani
ex-Bangkok Patana School
latinamericaorasiaorbust

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Helpful responses Reply with quote

Thank you all for your reponses. I will continue to look back at this thread for more responses.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: all doom and gloom in thailand.....!!! Reply with quote

Kitkat Biriyani wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:
there in no way you will get a job there without being licensed back home and even if you were licensed most likely not anyway.

rather pessimistic and presumptuous of 'everyone else's' ability.....perhaps a little more positivity/determination from others and they will, with the correct qualifications and experience, reach their goals.

Good luck all/don't be put off
Time for a spot of lunch,
Kitkat Biriyani
ex-Bangkok Patana School

That was for the 4 premier international schools that are better than most Western schools. She could get a job there, but the chances are she won't. But why not apply.
Kitkat Biriyani

Location: New Venkatanarasimharajuvaripea, Missouri, USA, Q!Q!QQQ!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: not "THEEEE" 4 premier ....?? Reply with quote

Rather unsupported sweeping statements......
Just because I say so...
Have a break, have a......
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Thailand soon, and may look around for work. I'm a fully qualified teacher with a lot of experience. I have a PhD, too but I have found it better to actually leave that off my CV, as it seems to scare people. What do you think are my chances of finding work within, say, a month of landing? Of course I am looking for legal work with a contract. What about Thai universities? I actually delivered a conference paper at one in Chaing Mai a few years ago. It was pretty much as I expect most Thai unis to be: rather disorganised and the overall "vibe" was a little depressing. But my "opinion" is not an informed one.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
I have always told my fellow EFL educators that coming to the LOS to teach English is no problem if you are qualified. If one comes to the LOS solely for financial gain one must lower ones expectations or be in for a REAL shock!

EFL Educator... You seem to know so much about Thailand aka the LOS as you call it Very Happy

Can you please tell us a little about yourself?
TomAndHuck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.With my credentials, can I get a job that pays more than after school language academies? If so, what other types of institutions can I apply to?

** With Masters and CELTA, you can probably get a plumb job at a good school or university. Language academies kind of suck. They are usually (but not always) money making cows for the owners and not the instructors, unless you are full on partners in business. Only now is the pay rate starting to go up. Best $$ is getting a private gig with a company or a factory of your own initiative. But because of visa and taxes that is not always the least trouble.

**500 baht or less per hour outside Bangkok. Sometimes much less. Was recently quoted 200 per hour for one-on-one. But another outfit was paying 600+ for large classes of office workers and business people.

3. Can I save anything in Thailand?

**A bit. Not a lot.

*** Yes, and these days yes. The license is however a formality, and you will probably be in the classroom and earning a paycheck before you need to go through the process to obtain the license - which you will have to pay for and take care of on your own time.

** I was told that I was covered in the high school where I worked, but never tested it or had to test it. My guess is that it will be a crap shoot, and you may be told one thing, but find something very different when you go to make the claim. To be sure, you'll need to buy your own, but even there I might worry. Welcome to the 'developing world'. On the good side, medical care is cheap compared to the states, and you can get anti-biotics and many medications without a prescription. After a while, you really come to understand what a racket is going on in the states.

** Yes. Racism and Racist are words that come to mind. If you are a pink person, you'll have the standard pink privilege. I don't particularly like this aspect of Thailand, and it is nothing to be proud or happy about. Many of my dark skinned students have suffered self-esteem and economic problems because skin color discrimination is rampant and not called out or challenged nearly as much as in the states or as much as is necessary. One African American teacher I worked with was trumped up and fired - ostensibly for a scheduling conflict - but he was not liked for ~ahem~ other reasons. The students loved him though and the younger kids are usually unburdened by these retrograde ideas until they start picking up from outside.

** It is possible to get a job before flight, but I wouldn't do it. Best to come and have a look around to make sure everything is legit. You don't want any contracts online before you set foot in a place. Many facilities and accommodations are not at all up to western standards, and a once over is worth the time - including a once over of the potential bosses and business setup. If you can get a 90 day tourist visa, do that over and above just jumping on the plane and getting the standard 30 days. Reason being that if after 30 days you don't have everything solid, you'll have to go out of the country to renew the visa and there is a whole notorious racket of going to Laos or Cambodia to hook up with a new visa. Then when you need a work visa you'll need to go out of the country again to get that visa. --- I was told by one teacher recently that he had transferred the tourist visa to a Non-B Work visa. But that could only be done in Bangkok and I would have to see it first to believe it.

You can jump on a bus, leave the country, go to the Thai embassy in Laos or Cambodia, pick up a new tourist visa there and go back and look for a new job. It has been done. You will have to be on good terms with the employer not to have to go through this. However, more employers have been getting in trouble for cancelling work permits and even if you quit or are fired, as long as you are on 1/2 decent terms you may get to keep your work permit and visa. Remember, you'll have to pay for your Non-B visa and your work permit and your teaching license yourself. Lovely country this.

Before yes and no license was required. However, now everyone is starting to say that you will need a license which will require some time and effort and money on your part to obtain.

And international school is not always good one way or another. You want to have confidence in your school and your employer so you should find a "good" school and not necessarily an "international" school.

Probably yes. But you will need to look around as these kind of gigs don't turn over nearly as often as ones with less salary. That said, depending on your psychology, and what you want, you might be just as happy in some upcountry low salary, low pressure gig with spacious digs, decent food, no crime, no pollution, or no traffic like in Bangkok.

May is a holiday month and October is a holiday month. After or before this is a good time. But private language schools, businesses and companies will hire year a round.

None that I know.

Any other questions, please let me know.
Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: