Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Contract in Vietnam. HELP!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... I'd say my life here is much less stressful than it was in the US. In the US can you work 4 hours a day and still make enough money to travel and do whatever else you want?

Granted, I'm not living in Saigon or Hanoi. I'd probably be very stressed living in one of those cities.

I don't think it's a paradise, but on some days it definitely comes close. Being able to relax on the beach all morning, go teach some classes in the evenings, then go out on the town at night 7 days a week is an impossible dream for most people in the West.

And before someone starts ranting about how it's fine if you don't want to save money and live month to month in a vacation lifestyle, there is money to be made here. Each year I've been here, I've improved my working conditions. I started at the bottom, graduated to slightly better, stuck it out again to get slightly better, and soon will be moving to even better. I know people who teach English here and live luxuriously in villas with their families. They've been here long enough and progressed smart enough to get the top jobs. They didn't burn their bridges when they moved on, and they worked in less than ideal locations until they reaped the rewards.

Those demanding instant success and respect are usually the ones who can't find decent places to work, and have nothing but bad things to say about work in Vietnam.
ajc19810

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Expat Luke. There are some days which are almost paradise. I think that has a lot do with us guys who live by the beach and can appreciate a fairly simple life.

Completely agree as every year passes you learn ways to live better and understand the culture just a little bit more. When i first came for 5 years i was mentally exhausted and now i can better recognize the signs of Vietnam fatigue setting in and that's when i know its time to take a break and get a dose of Australia. I'm sure there are many of us out there that have gone through a similar experience and when we return home it's always nice but its not Vietnam and we quickly realize that our heart is Vietnam..well at least for the time being.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise, paradise.

I'm enjoying my time here too after five years but I would caution readers thinking about Vietnam that there is no money here. Sure some people find a great gig and it's equally true that some people just love living here regardless of their circumstances but this is not a place to just land with a bachelors and expect to make enough money to live well on the beach like some 1950's fantasy. LOL
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd disagree with that assessment as well. There are new teachers arriving here all the time with a bachelor's and their TESOL cert who are enjoying the comforts of the beach lifestyle for a year before moving on.

I did the same myself before taking a more serious job once I decided I wanted to continue living here.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's impossible to generalise about Vietnam.

You need to know exactly what people want and their exact circumstances before you can offer an useful opinion.

I have tried to generalise in the past but I now think it's futile.

Anything is possible but nothing is guaranteed.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
I'd disagree with that assessment as well. There are new teachers arriving here all the time with a bachelor's and their TESOL cert who are enjoying the comforts of the beach lifestyle for a year before moving on.

I did the same myself before taking a more serious job once I decided I wanted to continue living here.

Gotta disagree with THAT, sadly....and hafta agree with VietCanada....

....it ain't the Viet Nam of three, five, eight years ago for the ESL instructor.

Life on the beach, sipping umbrella drinks?

Seen SEVERAL people from up here head down to Da Nang and EVERY ONE OF THEM said the same thing upon return - "Too many other teachers already down there, and not enough demand for ESL instruction"

From what I'd seen first-hand, Ha Noi and Hai Phong have been getting large new influxes of Tây teachers in over the past six months or so (thusly increasing supply of instructors and assisting in lowering fees and salaries) and colleagues of mine in The South say that Ho Chi Minh City has been close to full of English teachers for a while now.

DO NOT get me wrong - there still IS a living to be made here!!!

It just is nothing like the "save-a-grand-a-month-Korea-style" anymore!

For the average instructor, those days are long gone......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: