Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uh huh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm applying for jobs in intensive English centers in the US after having been working out of the country for five years. If someone has a feel for the market and what employers are looking for and would be willing to chat with me about my prospects, I'd appreciate a PM.

Thanks in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job ads should give you a sense on what your prospects are, though I suspect some employers may have a bias for teachers whose experience leans towards TESL and not TEFL. As such, consider joining your state/local TESOL affiliate for networking opportunities.
uh huh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, Nomad Soul. I have some specific questions for people who are working or have worked in intensive English programs.
Sumbo11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find an adjunct position in an IEP at a university/college. Adjunct positions have a high turnover rate, so even if you don't meet the minimum qualifications, you could still get an opportunity for an interview.
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The job ads should give you a sense on what your prospects are, though I suspect some employers may have a bias for teachers whose experience leans towards TESL and not TEFL.

Some may prefer ESL experience, but at the university IEP I worked at, nearly all of the full-time instructors had experience teaching EFL, and almost all of the new hires came in from an EFL position. I'm not sure if that is typical or not, though.

The market for full-time instructors is getting a bit harder, but if you have a masters in a relevant (e.g., TESOL, Applied Linguistics) or semi-relevant (e.g., Communication, English, Education) field and you live in an area with at least a few universities, you should be able to get at least one course as an adjunct. If you have a relevant MA and bring something special (e.g., extensive CALL experience, material writing experience, project-based instruction experience, etc.), then you should have a good shot at a full-time position. If you have experience teaching Saudi or Chinese students, that also might help.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Some may prefer ESL experience, but at the university IEP I worked at, nearly all of the full-time instructors had experience teaching EFL, and almost all of the new hires came in from an EFL position. I'm not sure if that is typical or not, though.

Preference here is for candidates with at least two years experience out of the US. Relevant MA required. Mostly adjunct hires recently, but it's a relatively small campus with not much turnover.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
If someone has a feel for the market and what employers are looking for and would be willing to chat with me about my prospects, I'd appreciate a PM.

and wrote:
Thanks for your answer, Nomad Soul. I have some specific questions for people who are working or have worked in intensive English programs

The reason I mentioned joining your state's TESOL affiliate for networking purposes is because you've been out of the country for some time and are competing for jobs against those who already have a presence in the local teaching community. As a TEFLer, you're likely to be perceived as an unknown, an outsider---someone out of touch with the local TESL scene. My point was that you up your game by making face-to-face connections and physically putting yourself out there to the teaching community.

Anyway, you asked for responses from others who have a feel for the market and what employers are looking for and who would be willing to chat with you about your prospects. Well, that's where networking comes into play. Moreover, as a member of your local TESOL affiliate, you'd have access to resources and key individuals who are likely to offer you info and/or advice on landing a job in an IEP.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second nomad soul's suggestion. Not only can joining such organizations be
most helpful for networking to aid in job searches, but prospective employers usually like to see such memberships listed on resumes.

Regards,
John
uh huh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

Yes, I have a master's in TESOL and 11 years experience, including four years at a community college, a year in an intensive English program, three years tutoring visiting scholars and grad students, and five years abroad, including two (truncated) contracts as an English Language Fellow. I also speak and study Spanish and French.

I've been concerned that short stints abroad would hurt my chances, but perhaps not from what I'm hearing. I don't mind working as an adjunct, and someone is helping me tweak my resume and cover letter. Networking within professional organizations sounds like the next logical step.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just throwing this out there because I know you want to go back to the US, but you would qualify for a good university/college (CEGEP) position here in Quebec. Demand for qualified bilingual instructors with experience is very high, and you could still remain within a reasonable distance of the US.
uh huh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Applying for jobs - Looking for a reality check Reply with quote

Santi84-

I sent you a PM.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking too.
Either at universities or high schools.
Thought about Teach for America, but wonder if it is worth it.

I have been abroad since 1997.

I heard Hawaii is a tough place to teach.
I am not certified so I have compared different states.
Ohio and Tennessee are easier places to get certified in, and Oregon is not.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui,

So it's the end of the line for you in Japan, soon? I read your post about this before on these forums; that you'd be looking at high schools. I'm considering following a similar path, but not sure about where to get certified. I'll have to figure out where I want to live, or maybe where I can get easily / quickly certified will determine where I can live.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: NY Reply with quote

I have posted on this topic before, but in New York one can get certified ESOL P-12 at the master's level. It can be done in a little over a year if you go full time. There are public and private university options.

I got certified in New York after having worked overseas. A NY license is reciprocal in many other states as well.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Japanese wife refuses to live on the east coast.
So that is why I have looked at other states.
Ever state has their own certification requirements.
It seems that Ohio and Tennessee are easier.

Currently I am thinking about Memphis. Certification costs just 280 dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: