Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torentosan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Public Schools Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have five years of ESL experience and have just got my state teaching license. I am ready to make the transition to better things.

I will make a grand stab at getting into a good international school, however the competition will be keen.
Therefore, my backup plan is to get into a public elementary school.

My question is for those who know, those who are there and who have knowledge of the way things go.

Do public schools there hire full-time foreign teachers and if so, are they paid more or the same as local school teachers?

I ask this question because it seems some countries do, some don't, and some have a system where foreigners just show up to teach a class or two. Also, it is hard to find the information quickly...

I appreciate any information you may have.. Thanks!
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes public schools hire foreign teachers and in most cases pay more than a new local teacher.

You wont be just showing up and teaching a class or two. It will be a full time job.

I am in a similar situation as I get my license in March/April. Pretty late in the game/ hiring process. I am worried about getting a job for Fall 14 school year. As such I am needing to make my backup plans.
torentosan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply..I am just beginning my research on this. I am trying to decide between Colombia, Peru, and Chile.
travelNick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you interested in teaching English at public high schools? There are some interesting programmes for bilingual public high schools where you might not earn a huge packet, but will certainly make a difference to the school, students and teachers.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia is easily better for teaching than those other countries.

Nick, what programs are you talking about?
torentosan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: public schools Reply with quote

I mentioned public schools, but I think I had private schools in mind as well. As long as I am teaching k-6. At any rate, I've heard too many horror stories about low pay and scarce work in Colombia. If Colombia is meant for me, it will have to happen some other time in the future. I just found work in Chile....Will it be worth it? I will find this one out first hand. While I am there, I will visit Colombia to see what's up.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you find the job in Chile?
torentosan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Job in Chile Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
How did you find the job in Chile?

Believe it or not it was posted on Dave's. They hired me after doing a couple of Skype interviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: