Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of hispanic getting a job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctorres626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Chances of hispanic getting a job Reply with quote

I have brown skin, my qualifications are no teaching experience, but lots of volunteering with children, military veteran, Bachelors in History, TEFL certificate, 26 years old. What are the chances in China to get a job. Also for the Criminal background check I have certificates from the state of Illinois stating no convictions found.
zactherat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much depends on your appearance, and a potential employee's willingness/ability to get you a visa.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US passport? If so, I think your main/only worry would be the lack of documented teaching experience. Some places may be easier than others. Skin color may matter in some places but not in others. (Of course blond-haired, blue eyed Nordics would be preferred, all things being equal.) Apply. Find out.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Hispanic man here, Colombian national; he and his wife arrived as a package deal (she's Canadian). Keep looking.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teaching experience is not always required.
some provinces just want two years of any work experience post graduation.
some provinces don't bother with that requirement at all.
you just graduated, so have essentially NO work experience after
finishing your degree.
you still might be able to include your other jobs as work experience due
to your advanced age. try to fluff up the teaching aspect of any prior work.

training counts, too! even with a teaching experience requirement, it's not
limited to classroom instruction. as a SP4 or SGT you must have had some
additional training NCO duties.

**last year, we had an iranian with new zealand passport.
**at a prior school, jordanian with australian passport.
ctorres626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a U.S passort, and yes as a NCO in the Marine Corps there was a lot of training duties and instructing as well. I just read a lot about certain schools preferring a white applicant. Like a person of a diffrent color can't perform the job as equal or better.
muffintop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctorres626 wrote:
I just read a lot about certain schools preferring a white applicant. Like a person of a diffrent color can't perform the job as equal or better.

In some schools...perhaps many...your skills and abilities have no relevance. However, your skin tone might. That isn't to say these are schools you'd want to be working for, it's just a sad fact.

To be quite honest, your skin tone may be a great way to weed out most of the crappy schools by default. Don't look at it as a negative.
ctorres626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ muffintop, that's a great way to look at it thanks. Do you know if it's necessary to get a fbi check or is it okay to have a Illinois state certified check that states I have no convictions or no record.
Harbin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctorres626 wrote:
Like a person of a diffrent color can't perform the job as equal or better.

You're assuming that "teaching" in China has anything to do with actual teaching..... and it doesn't. Being an EFL "teacher" in China has nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with face. And as a brown skinned person, let me tell you that you have little face value in China.

China has a very real class system and, should you make it here, you'll quickly learn that "white" Chinese are the upper class and "black" Chinese are the lowest class. As a dark skinned laowai you'll not only be a total outsider, but also considered lower class than the "blackest" Chinese. Stop and consider if you really want to experience that before you come to China.
ctorres626

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight harbin. I have thought about it, I have worked hard to get to this point to be afraid of what people think of me because of my skin color.The only thing I am unsure of is if I will get replies back once I start applying which will be soon, I guess time will tell. Are asian countries usually like this ? My other interests are Brazil and Turkey. I speak fluent Spanish which is a plus in Latin America but would likr an opportunity to save a little.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctorres626 wrote:
Thanks for the insight harbin. I have thought about it, I have worked hard to get to this point to be afraid of what people think of me because of my skin color.The only thing I am unsure of is if I will get replies back once I start applying which will be soon, I guess time will tell. Are asian countries usually like this ? My other interests are Brazil and Turkey. I speak fluent Spanish which is a plus in Latin America but would likr an opportunity to save a little.

Get a job in Mexico and then work online to supplement.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the public sector unis and vocationals in 2nd tier cities.
I've taught alongside Filipinos.
I agree Chinese are racist.
At my first school I had a girl who was beautiful - really. In the West, if the school put on a nativity play she would be the one chosen to play Mary.
She was darker than the 'ideal' and her classmates called her 'Black Girl'.
PBirm123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Dalian, the people are friendly and it's a fairly modern city with a lot of work. My school has a lot of black teachers and they're loved and treated as equals. I've never even seen a Hispanic person in China.. so let me know when you get here.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Dalian, but watch the dreaded Lushun commute.
2 hours + on the bus over and above your teaching day is not good.
When I was in Dalian I always had more private work than I could manage.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chances of hispanic getting a job Reply with quote

ctorres626 wrote:
I have brown skin, my qualifications are no teaching experience, but lots of volunteering with children, military veteran, Bachelors in History, TEFL certificate, 26 years old. What are the chances in China to get a job. Also for the Criminal background check I have certificates from the state of Illinois stating no convictions found.
Hey mucho, although I am a few years older, we're almost on the same boat. No pro, from my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: