Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MLI and Distance MAs and NOCs - the latest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tefllifer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Yes, I too have heard that one problem with the equivalencing of distance MAs is that there is no distance MA here to equate it to.
If that is the problem then it's pretty pathetic, isn't it? Hands up who wants their degress equated to ones from the UAE :) - come on you folk from Oxford and Harvard, don't be shy, join the queue like everyone else...
As far as I know, UAEU, for example, is still seeking accreditation from somewhere for it's degrees - so there are not really any accredited degrees here to equate anything to - and what if they get accredited by somewhere that also gives distance MAS - will that then mean that by association, a distance MA can be equivalenced.
This is too bizarre - a country where they are still looking for external accreditation for their qualifications is seeking to have people equivalence their fully recognised internationally qualifications against non-accredited local qualifications.
Let's get real here.
bobo_the_circus_chimp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that the whole thing is pretty crazy. I think what is upsetting to most people around the MLI is that their employers know that the Ministry can't recognize these degrees yet they are not willing to offer any concessions or reasonable alternatives. These people have valid MA's from top-notch universities and everyone knows it. They were hired with these MA's but because the Ministry can't authenticate them GHQ now won't honor them. They are being told they will have to take a pay cut in order to stay. I think most were hoping that a well connected local might bail them out and simply write a letter to GHQ making them exempt...or perhaps the MLI could set up a new pay scale for distance MA's that is the same as non-distance MA's. There are plenty of viable alternatives but it seems as though none of the coordinators have pursued these options very whole-heartedly. I feel very bad for the people that will be effected by this. It is even more unfortunate for those that can't find work elsewhere and as a result will be forced to take a pay-cut.
As a footnote to my diatribe: people that were lucky enough to get a NOC earlier this year and get out won't get banned. However, MLI admin have also told people that they won't be issuing NOC's anymore. That means those wishing to leave in the future might have some difficulty. Interesting food for thought.
django

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, tefllifer and bobo - yes, yes and yes!. Spot on!
django

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey it's been mighty quiet from mr bindair dundat - dose this mean he's not coming to the good old mli? i was kinda expecting his angle on the posts in this thread
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

django wrote:
hey it's been mighty quiet from mr bindair dundat - dose this mean he's not coming to the good old mli? i was kinda expecting his angle on the posts in this thread

I am rarely accused of being quiet. Wink

I have been avoiding the DL thing because it has nothing to do with me. There is one question that occurs to me, however, now that you invite my thoughts. When I did my MA, I took three practicum courses and held a two-year teaching assistantship, as did many of my colleagues in the MA program. Do these DL programs generally make any provision for practical experience?

BD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: