Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar University Foundation Program
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Qatar University Foundation Program Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd be most appreciative if someone could provide some current information on working in QU's English Foundation Program.

Any insights on the following?

Standard number of contact and office hours/week

Average student skill level (also level of interest / motivation)

Housing

Salary scale

Other contract benefits (flights, settlement allowance, end of contract bonus, etc...)

Administrative support

The general "vibe" of the staffroom/ office

Life outside of work (cultural activities, gyms/pools, shopping, etc...)

And anything else you think might be relevant to a prospective applicant.

Thanks very much.

Smile
Fatboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Information Reply with quote

Hi, I PMed you the information that I have.
Chuma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Fatboy.

PM received and reply sent.
dohadriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: QU Foundation Program Reply with quote

Have you noticed a deafening silence from teachers working in the QU Foundation Program?
FunGus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more that the one person who used to post under 20 different accounts has moved on to greener pastures...
danmbob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website has a job posting. Any up to date info on it?
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me the biggest challenge will be living in Qatar itself and finding affordable housing nearby. Otherwise, it should be normal government uni gulf foundations teaching.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my friends teach in QU's English foundation year program -- both are PhD holders with Gulf experience. It's highly competitive, probably even more so given the number of applicants whose UAE contracts will be ending this year.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Two of my friends teach in QU's English foundation year program -- both are PhD holders with Gulf experience. It's highly competitive, probably even more so given the number of applicants whose UAE contracts will be ending this year.

First of all, to be clear, one does not need a Ph.D. to teach foundations. A related-MA is certainly more than enough preparation. But a dearth of jobs in this line of work may bid up the requirements. Plenty of folks with MAs there though, for the record.

That said, the quality of life in Qatar would definitely be a downgrade from AD or Dubai, or most of the UAE for that matter. But a job is a job. And as long as one is willing to spend a good chunk of their salary on housing, there will be nearby housing options. Otherwise, for the budget conscious, you will need to be prepared for a long commute and plenty of bad driving.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QU provided housing for the teachers not that long ago. Any update on that situation these days?

VS
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
QU provided housing for the teachers not that long ago. Any update on that situation these days?

VS

Last report from a couple years back was that housing was still 'on the way'. But they'd been saying that for awhile.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QU had (has?) always provided housing. Many were not happy with what they got (there was one nice building and the other was not so nice - as I recall). While a lucky few had on campus housing.

Of course there were promises that the crappy building would be replaced, but I don't recall any updates.

QU teachers had not been thrown into the rental market with a paltry allowance last we heard here.

Of course... that is becoming the standard in the Gulf.

VS
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
QU had (has?) always provided housing. Many were not happy with what they got (there was one nice building and the other was not so nice - as I recall). While a lucky few had on campus housing.

Of course there were promises that the crappy building would be replaced, but I don't recall any updates.

QU teachers had not been thrown into the rental market with a paltry allowance last we heard here.

Of course... that is becoming the standard in the Gulf.

VS

The rental allowance covers about half the cost of a decent 2-bedroom. West Bay and Al Sadd areas are about 20-30min commute depending on traffic. So unless there is new housing somewhere, teachers will need to find their own place. And typically, the university housing is far from campus. The allowance should be better, but unfortunately it isn't. So those are the choices last update. Odds are high that it is still the same.
eslteacher2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know what they pay is like at Qatar University and the working conditions/hours?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

First of all, to be clear, one does not need a Ph.D. to teach foundations. A related-MA is certainly more than enough preparation. But a dearth of jobs in this line of work may bid up the requirements. Plenty of folks with MAs there though, for the record.

However, they're not just teaching foundation year English; they're also involved in research and teacher education. In fact, some MA holders do more than just teach.

eslteacher2014 wrote:
Does anyone know what they pay is like at Qatar University and the working conditions/hours?

You'd have to apply to find out what you'd be offered. By the way, be aware that the government of Qatar does not accept qualifying degrees that included online coursework. (Ditto for KSA, Kuwait, Bahrain, and possibly the UAE.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: