Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do different languages confer different personalities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Do different languages confer different personalities? Reply with quote

I know that whenever I attempt French, I feel more - how can I put it - well, debonair. So, what do YOU think?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/11/multilingualism

Chaleureusement,
Jean
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it's more to do with the culture a society speaks than the language it speaks.

For example (sweeping statements coming), France is often associated with high culture, fine dining, romantic evening etc. Where as, forgive me, Russia is associated with freezing snow, communists and potatoes. So I think those perceptions have more influence than the language itself. When I try and do a French accent I project those images and I sound quite 'posh', I could be an artist sat, sipping wine over a sunset. When I do a Russian accent I project myself as a surly soldier, drinking vodka and standing outside in the cold. But maybe that's just me...
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Shroob"]I would think it's more to do with the culture a society speaks than the language it speaks.

But doesn't language itself influence culture?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is all this reactionary nonsense?! Piggie propaganda!!! Off to the re-education camps with all of you! Claims that language or culture could possibly affect personality, eh?! All such mistaken thinking will be scientifically eradicated by our trained professionals in the Department of the Enlightenment, and that is ABSOLUTELY FINAL!!!!!!

Hic!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
France is often associated with high culture, fine dining, romantic evening etc. Where as, forgive me, Russia is associated with freezing snow, communists and potatoes.

What??!!
TolstoyDostoyevskySolzhenitsynPushkinChekovGorkyPasternakNabokovRimsky-KorsakovBolshioFabergeChagallIvanovSt.Basils'MoscowKremlinIberianGateKolomesskayeSmolenskCathedralTeremPalacPeterhofCatherinePalace MenshikovTower and more and more and more....
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MuscatGary"]
Shroob wrote:
I would think it's more to do with the culture a society speaks than the language it speaks.

But doesn't language itself influence culture?

I'm not sure. I'm no expert (yet).

But my intuition would say not. As far as I see it, language is just a way of getting a message across. Languages will vary how the message is conveyed, but the same message still gets conveyed.

Language and culture are definitely interrelated. I'll browse around this evening, see if I can find some journals on the subject.
corniche

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, John. And it also changes your face because of the way you use the muscles.
FreakingTea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're thinking of your personal associations with the language. The language isn't "conferring" anything except the functions you're (hopefully) conveying. All the communist literature I've read was in English, so I don't particularly associate Russian with communism. Other aspects of Russia, sure. But if anything, Russian is more greatly influenced by the system and culture in which it developed. The development of Modern English correlated with the rise of capitalism in England, and further developments came from colonialist and imperialist influences. But speaking English isn't spreading capitalism unless you're speaking it with a gun in your hand.

I will concede that certain cultural concepts can be legitimized in the mind of a monolingual speaker if those concepts can only be expressed in a language in a particular way. But the concepts themselves didn't originate in the language. Gendered and racial slurs come to mind.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Corniche

Quote:
Absolutely, John. And it also changes your face because of the way you use the muscles.

That is so true.

Would also explain why a generation of Brits (or ten) are perceived as being haughty, reserved and generally up themselves, speaking as they did through gritted teeth.

(Before anyone gets overexercised here, I'm a Brit myself.)
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it does. Even within a language, the synonyms you choose can change the tone and personality of something dramatically. Look at Orwell, or the Nazis.

In Japanese, for example, the word for wife literally translates as the "person in the house" while the word for husband literally means "master." How can these literal meanings not effect the way the language makes us think and the way we think affects the way we act.
FreakingTea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
Yep, it does. Even within a language, the synonyms you choose can change the tone and personality of something dramatically. Look at Orwell, or the Nazis.

In Japanese, for example, the word for wife literally translates as the "person in the house" while the word for husband literally means "master." How can these literal meanings not effect the way the language makes us think and the way we think affects the way we act.

Those roles ("person in the house" and "master") were described by the language. The words didn't come at random and then determine social organization.
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Pinker fairly successfully argue down Whorf, or Sapir-Whorf, in the Language Instinct. Kind of rehashing something that, I would say, has been shown to be untrue a while ago.
JN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Do different languages confer different personalities? Reply with quote

[quote="johnslat"]I know that whenever I attempt French, I feel more - how can I put it - well, debonair. So, what do YOU think?

I think my personality does change a bit when I speak German, but I think the culture has a lot to do with it. I look at how people act and listen to how they use language. When I attempt Russian, which I am not fluent in, I don't feel any different.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sparks,

"Kind of rehashing something that, I would say, has been shown to be untrue a while ago.

As the use of the past tense shows, what was "untrue years ago" (I think the past tense would have been the better choice) is usually true now (e.g.
Years ago, I thought that Whorf's theories were totally untrue).

Whorf certainly went too far, but the other extreme (which is, "that all languages share the same deep structure of thought and that thought has a universal quality separate from language . . . . that languages express thinking and perception in different ways but do not shape the thinking and perception.") may also be too "black and white."

http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=29489

http://www.economist.com/debate/days/view/626

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: