Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESL Canada Professional Certificate Standard 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anvilman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: TESL Canada Professional Certificate Standard 3? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has experience with the TESL Canada Professional
Certificate Standard 3?

I'm soon to complete an MA in TESL at UBC, have teaching experience and will complete a practicum. Once all of this is done, TESL Canada should certify me with the Standard 3 designation.

Has anybody out there received this and gone on the job market? How has it been received by employers? Any difference from those who attended a teacher-training program outside the universities?

Thanks for any feedback!
ETG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: TESL standard 3 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you are asking about Standard 3 for domestic purposes or overseas. Overseas I am not sure anyone gives a hoot, but in Canada employers will.

I have Standard 2 and have not bothered to apply for 3 (have master's etc.)
through sloth, and the fact that I know it will not make a salary difference to my employer (in Canada)

Cheers
E.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably find it hard to find anybody who has even heard of TESL Canada outside of North America.

But having an MA TESL as well as having done a SUPERVISED teaching practicum WILL mean something to employers.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESL Canada must think the 'C' stands for Canada otherwise why would they accept the CELTA but not the DELTA? Laughing
timothypfox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually TESOL Canada is not really well-known outside of Canada. Worked as an ESL teacher in NYC for about 10 years and never heard of TESOL Canada.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Actually TESOL Canada is not really well-known outside of Canada. Worked as an ESL teacher in NYC for about 10 years and never heard of TESOL Canada.

It doesn't need to be. TESOL Canada is not a course but a national standards council which 'recognizes' certain teacher training programs offered in Canada to fulfill one of 3 pro standards. A 100 hr entry level course such as CELTA is a level 1 and an MA TESOL or equivalent ranks at level 3. Any course not on their 'recognition' list such as the DELTA offered in Vancouver and Toronto requires a PLAR.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TESOL Canada is not a course but a national standards council which 'recognizes' certain teacher training programs offered in Canada to fulfill one of 3 pro standards.

Yes, I understand that it is a required licensing that you receive after submitting you various certificates and universities degrees, along with career work experience in ESL/EFL.

From the web site it looks like it is possible to get recognition for teacher training programs offered outside of Canada. I think foreign programs that you studied in are reviewed on a case by case basis - and if recognized, TESOL Canada will give you the equivalent acknowledgement.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="timothypfox"]
Quote:
I understand that it is a required licensing....

Hardly! Even Standard 3 (M.A TESL/DELTA + exp) won't allow you to teach ESL except at the tertiary level or gov't funded ESL for adult programs? Same as the US?
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TESL 1 - Trucked through CELTA (four weeks)
TESL 2 - Lingered through two or three full-time university semesters (one or two years post-grad)
TESL 3 - Got an MA in TESOL/DELTA and still buying ramen noodles for dinner

That is a VERY simple assessment. I'm working my way up to ramen noodles with a hefty student loan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: