Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Horizons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: New Horizons Reply with quote

They don't want much for $1100 and teach for 40 hours a week

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=29939

Where will they ever get 20 teachers from?? The mind boggles
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously teachers who take a position like this aren't interested in the money, but the experience of working and living in such a fascinating country... and some also like the possibility of danger...

VS
JustinC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1100/ month for up to 40 hours teaching per week?! Yikes! It doesn't even state which hours you'll be required to work. There must be a typo in there, somewhere.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be crazy! FCO advises against unsurprisingly:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/yemen
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe it's not a complete piss-take.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This organization has been around for awhile and usually has a few expat teachers... but a spotty reputation. Naturally any teacher would be going against the wishes of their embassy... but how many of us pay any attention to what they say. Laughing I expect that the teaching hours thing is to cover them for not being able to get enough teachers to come... which is probably a given. But there are local teachers there too. As to hours, it is a language school and that suggests a split shift situation. Student numbers certainly vary based on the situation there.

Everyone that I know who has taught in Yemen enjoys the Yemenis immensely. It is a job for the young and adventurous...

VS
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...but a spotty reputation...It is a job for the young and adventurous... "

That's spinning it, somewhat, VS Laughing More like their reputation is mostly terrible and the job is for the desperate or crazy. Notwithstanding that Yemenis are generally civil and welcoming, anyone want to work with a bunch of crazies for a gang of charlatans, do step up!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most posters on this board only accept those conditions if they are getting paid a lot. Laughing Then there are those who take the same conditions for little money because they are interested in the place or the experience or the adventure or...

The desperate usually end up in Saudi working on a "business visa."

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:

That's spinning it, somewhat, VS Laughing More like their reputation is mostly terrible and the job is for the desperate or crazy. Notwithstanding that Yemenis are generally civil and welcoming, anyone want to work with a bunch of crazies for a gang of charlatans, do step up!

Actually, JustinC, you're the one spinning it by suggesting "young and adventurous" equates to "desperate or crazy." Plus, New Horizons is a mediocre language school that's never been on the top of anyone's list for work.
JustinC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
JustinC wrote:

That's spinning it, somewhat, VS Laughing More like their reputation is mostly terrible and the job is for the desperate or crazy. Notwithstanding that Yemenis are generally civil and welcoming, anyone wanting to work with a bunch of crazies for a gang of charlatans, do step up!

Actually, JustinC, you're the one spinning it by suggesting "young and adventurous" equates to "desperate or crazy." Plus, New Horizons is a mediocre language school that's never been on the top of anyone's list for work.

I don't agree suggesting someone taking 40 hours for $1100/month - that's $6.35/hour if I'm correct - to teach an unknown quantity of students hasn't already looked elsewhere. With any bachelor's degree and CELTA/TESOL you'd easily be able to earn more, for less hours and in more favorable conditions, in many, many locations in Asia, the Middle East or Europe. That is unless you cannot pass the medical or criminal checks or have burned too many bridges.

It may be only as good as a "mediocre language school' but I haven't seen anyone testify to that much. Add that to the 40 hours/week and terrorists, when would you be able to 'experience the culture'? I wouldn't argue against visiting for a week or fortnight but permanent residence in a place occupied by Al-Qaeda would be viewed by most as the actions of someone a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
I don't agree suggesting someone taking 40 hours for $1100/month - that's $6.35/hour if I'm correct - to teach an unknown quantity of students hasn't already looked elsewhere.

So far, I haven't seen any comments within this thread suggesting teachers pursue this job opportunity.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will get people. These are desperate times. The world is full of crazies and dersperadoes.
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
JustinC wrote:
I don't agree suggesting someone taking 40 hours for $1100/month - that's $6.35/hour if I'm correct - to teach an unknown quantity of students hasn't already looked elsewhere.

So far, I haven't seen any comments within this thread suggesting teachers pursue this job opportunity.

And I think that your observation will stand the test of time. Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
JustinC wrote:

And I think that your observation will stand the test of time. Smile

I'm not sure what your point is. People have free will and will accept certain jobs regardless of the lousy pay, dangerous conditions, etc., for whatever personal reasons. We've seen this time and time again on the Saudi forum.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that they might get a couple teachers... and the rest of the 20 will have to be local hires.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: