Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANKARA: social livelihood for expats?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFICKES86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: ANKARA: social livelihood for expats? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been in Ankara for six weeks and my social life is on life support.

I'm in Kecioren, which I know is more "family oriented", but surely there must be some way to meet and socialize with other Westerners in kizilay or Tunali other than trolling the pubs solo.

Are there any events in the near future hosted by the American or British (or Canadian, Australian, even Kiwi) embassies?

Additionally, are they're any groups or meet ups for English native speakers in Ankara other than the one main google group?

Any advice on how to resuscitate my social life as an English expat in Ankara would be greatly appreciated.
philotaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in the world did you end up living in Kecioren?
sedaa91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can join the Facebook group "ankara'da yeni ogretmenler" https://www.facebook.com/groups/276359582379934/ mainly teachers in bilkent. there is also an expat Facebook group and an email group. Internations Ankara is another one. The US embassy has happy hour every 2 weeks on Fridays you have to get on the list. They post that on the Facebook group. There is a Thanksgiving dinner at the JW Marriott Hotel across Armada on the 28th for 85 TL open buffet, unlimited drinks.
stozi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: couchsurfing Reply with quote

try Couchsurfing.com. They should have lots of social events.

Don't want to be a jerk, but expats have corporate expense accounts, they're a different caste to english teachers.

I have a lot of fun with CS events wherever I go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: